AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search, but there weren't very many direct comparisons between these two models.

Here's the situation: My father is buying an HDTV, most likely a Toshiba 40h80 or 42h81. I already own a DTC100, so I'm familiar with it, but I've only used it for non-HD so far, since my tw40h80 set is ntsc only. So, I'm trying to find out how the DTC100 compares to the DST3000 (and it's hughes/mits siblings).

Specifically:

1) Does one or the other have consistantly better OTA tuning abilities? (Dad's house is deep fringe... maybe too far for either STB... haven't tried the dtc100 for OTA at his house yet.)

2) How does the native 1080i picture quality compare between the DTC100 w/ transcoder vs. the DTS3000? And how does 720p material upconverted to 1080i compare between the two?

3) I gather that the DST3000 upconverts everything under 1080i to 1080i for the HD component outputs. Does anybody know how 480i material upconverted to 1080i by the dst3000 compares to 480i material upconverted to 540p by the dtc100?

4) How is general usability (menu speed, tuning speed, etc) compare? I'm fairly familiar with the dtc100, but have never used the dst3000 or any of its siblings.

BTW, I don't care about (can't hear) the dtc100 fan noise, so that's not an issue.

Thanks!

------------------

-Kieran.

(Member since ~01/98 but AVS killed my membership

after a few months of no posting.)
My HT page

·
Registered
73 Posts
K,

I don't have any direct experience between the DTC-100 and the DST3000, but my old SD STB is an RCA and my HD STB is the Mitsu SR-HD5 which is virtually the same as the Toshiba. As far as the menuing goes, the APG of the Mits is quite different from the RCA, but I'm not sure if the DTC-100 does APG or the previous menu. As far as the video output, from what I've read, I don't think you're going to see much difference between the boxes at all and I've never read a post that declares any known sensitivity differences for OTA broadcasts.

If you're planning to just move your DTC-100 to your father's house, I'd just buy the VGA to component adapter and be done with it. When something new and compelling comes along, upgrade then. If he's going to purchase his own STB, then it may be better to purchase the Toshiba as it's a little nicer, featurewise, and newer. But, if you can get a good deal on a DTC-100 and adapter, then you might save some pennies.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Bandito (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bandito,

Thanks for the advice. My father is planning on getting his own STB. We can get either the DTC100+converter or the DST3000 for about the same price, so in this case price is not an issue... just features/quality, etc.

------------------

-Kieran.

My HT page

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
taron1:

Why? Is it that much better than the DTC100? Or is it just that, you think the Tosh would be a better choice, since the TV is also a Tosh?

Thanks,

------------------

-Kieran.

My HT page

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FrankS:

Uhm... Gee thanks for the vote of confidence, but the Toshiba TW40H80 most certainly is NOT hd-ready. It is an NTSC-only 16:9 RPTV. The set that preceded it was the TW40F80, which was ALSO not HD-capable. What was a bit confusing at the time, is that the TW40H80 was the same "generation" as the TW65H80, which WAS hd-ready! I'm not sure if there was an HD-ready TW56H80 of the same generation. These were all 1997/98 models, IIRC. The first full line of HD-ready rptv sets that Toshiba made was the "X81" series which came out in 1998, I believe, and included the TW40X81, which was the HD replacement for the set I own. After the TW40X81, came what was called simply the 40H80. Toshiba has made only two HD-ready 40" 16:9 rptv's, and they are the TW40X81 and the 40H80. Mine is the TW40H80. Trust me, I would KNOW if my set was HD-ready! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif The TW40H80 is a fantastic set though. Probably one of the best NTSC rptv's ever, IMHO. 480i anamorphic dvd's look as good as they possibly can without going to progressive scan. (which again, is NOT possible on my set!) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

-Kieran.

My HT page

[This message has been edited by Kieran (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
739 Posts
RudolphT.

is correct, i have both units myself and find that the DST 3000 is an easier unit to work with far better menu's and features. an can be bought for almost the same price as the DTC100. i bought mine from Video Only for $469. including shipping. hope this helps

good luck

carlos

------------------

"He who dies with the most toys wins". unless its home theater we die broke!!! Let The Games Begin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.