AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my DST3000 from Video Only, and am thrilled with it. I do have a problem and that is with KSL. The other digital channels are coming in fine.

When I tune into 5-1 I get no picture at all, and with channel 5-2, whenever there is motion the picture breaks up at the spot of the motion.

Does anyone else in the Salt Lake City area have simliar problems with either the Toshiba, Mitsubishi, or Hughes, receiver?

Thanks for you help, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don Widger

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey buffster,

Welcome to HDTV! The only problems I've ever had with KSL channel 5 are with whether or not the digital channel (38) remapped to 5-1 and 5-2 or stayed mapped at 38-1 and 38-2.

The video on channel 5-2 is always choppy. I assume that this is becuase they've assigned the majority of their bandwidth to 5-1 and 5-2 just gets whatever is leftover.

Have you checked your signal strengths to see what you're getting?

I have the Mitsu SR-HD5 by the way, but am willing to lend a hand where I can!

Also, are you connected to DirecTV or are you just using the box for OTA?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I am using it for DTV as well as OTA. I am getting a signal strenght of 86-93.

I think my problem is more than just a little choppy, it completely unwatchable. I don't know if this could be a multipath problem with the mountains or not, I don't know that much about digital transmission. I used to have a Dish 6000, but never the OTA module.

·
Registered
73 Posts
buffster,

Okay, armed with the DTV information, here's my two cents worth.

Channel 5-2 should give you (from my experience) good, uninterrupted audio, but bad, choppy video. This is on purpose as stated above. The channel should show up as 5-2, KSL-SD, with the SD meaning standard definition. However, with the other digital channel using most of the bandwidth, there isn't enough leftover for good video on 5-2. I think KSL just wants to keep its equipment operating.

As for KSL channel 5-1, here's what I know. If you go to the Local Area menu where the STB displays all of the OTA channels it has "found," you should see two channel 5-1s. One will be 5-1, KSKDT and the other is 5-1, KSL-HD. The first one, KSLDT, is from the DirecTV satellite program guide and does not appeart to have the proper information for receiving the actual transmission. Tuning into it will give you an empty black screen, as you've seen. If you tune into 5-1, KSL-HD you should get a flawless digital program feed, normally w/sidebars unless it's the news, Jay Leno, Crossing Jordan, or ER (ER is still SD, but as it's already in letterbox they zoom in so it fills a widescreen TV).

If you don't have a KSL-HD channel 5-1 listed in the Local Area menu section, you need to re-scan and hopefully it will pick it up. Once you have it in the channel listing, you can turn off the check mark for KSLDT and that one will no longer appear in your program guide, however (there's always something else, isn't there?), if you try to tune directly to channel 5-1 by entering '5' '-' '1' and pressing the select key it will still take you to the KSLDT channel, where you'll need to channel-up once to get to KSL-HD. I've found that it's much easier to just set it up as one of the Turbo-tune channels and go to it that way.

Whew! Now for the other good news. I've found that once the box has scanned and added channels, it usually won't (but it can occasionally work, so it's worth a try first) rescan them and actually change anything. If a simple re-scan doesn't get you 5-1, KSL-HD you can try this. Go into the Local Area menu and tell the STB you have no antenna or cable hooked up to either input. Then do a 'clear.' Now, go to the dish setup screen and remove all zipcodes. When this is done, exit the menus and press the Action button, wait 4 seconds and then press the Power button (on the remote control). This will cause the STB to reboot. Once it finishes, it should power itself back on after a few seconds and tell you that it's reacquiring the guide data. Let it complete this. Then go into the dish setup menu and put in your zipcode for area 1 (and, I suppose, area 2 if you need it). It will take a few seconds to first load the zipcode database before you can enter your zipcode. Once you enter your zipcode, it will then go out and reload the guide once more. After this is done, you can then go to the local area menu and do a scan for OTA channels. When this completes you can turn off the check mark for any channels you don't want in the guide, including KSLDT, and you should be operational. Be aware that the satellite database is wrong, or wrongly interpretted by the STB, so you will have extra stations in the guide for 2, 4, and 5 as well as the Local-into-Local listings--SC2, SC4, SC5, SC13, SC14. Nothing to do but ignore them till DTV corrects this problem, someday, someway (supposedly a software update for the STB slated for delivery, "sometime real soon, now!" Pardon me if I don't hold my breath in anticipation).

I hope all of this helps and can get you going on HD for channel 5. The Tonight Show looks great in HD!!!

P.S. Oh! I forgot about the antenna thing. If you're getting 5-2, and our other digital channels, 7 and 11 plus 4 if you're close enough, then I think that you're okay on the multipath issue. If you're having reception problems with digital, you'll get frequent black screens or only black screens and sometimes other really weird stuff. But I think all of our digital stuff here for now is all from the same transmission tower. All of the local stations, with the exception of 13 as I recall, opted to combine forces for the digital transmission facility on Farnsworth peak. So if you get one, they should all work as they're from the exact same location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.