AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the DTC-100 hooked to my 55807 via the VGA to RGBVH cable. Recently I tried to reduce the vertical height and width of my HD picture to see where the picture ends/begins. I noticed that by reducing the VHGT from 40 to 31 I discovered about 6% more picture top and bottom. Has anyone else noticed this. I wonder if it's because of the DTC-100's none standard output. I am running the latest software upgrade, so I don't think that's the problem. After making these changes, I noticed that the HD convergence menu's vertical white bars are about 2 inches short of the top of the screen.

I have the timing set to EIA770.2.

What prompted this experiment was a comparison of the 4:3 and the 16X9 outputs in HD mode. If you toggle between 4:3 and 16X9 mode in the DTC-100 you can see a large amount of top and bottom picture being sucked up by overscan. Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
520 Posts
There are two issues at play here.

1) Viewing 4:3 material in 16:9 with a stretch/zoom/expand always involves cropping the picture and distorting the geometry. So yes, part of the top and bottom is EXPECTED to be cut off.

2) Viewing either 4:3 or 16:9 without stretch/zoom/expand. The DTC100 overscans a little too much. It is my belief that they do this on purpose to maximize the number of sets their product is compatible with. 6% overscan is normal, and a little extra and most people will not complain. People WILL complain if its underscaned. Fixing this problem is a minor issue. Go into your Mitsubishi service menu and change the vertical and horizontal so the overscan is however you like it. I recommend you start this process by viewing channel 199 in 16:9 mode. Remember, a little overscan is normal.

I did not experience the problem you referred to with convergence lines being shifted down. However I DID have other issues with the convergance lines and had to again use the mits service menu to manually adjust the convergence grid (search the forum for instructions).

-Gordo

[This message has been edited by TraderGordo (edited 03-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the response. I'm sorry I didn't clarify. I meant that I pulled the picture in about 6%, I still have about 4% overscan after making this adjustment. So,.. I had about 10% overscan at VHGT set to 40. Do you have a XXX7 mitsubishi. Can you try and change your set's VHGT from 40 to 31 and see if you have the same effect. Thank you again.

Service Menu for XXX7 sets 8257,..

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I have a Pioneer 53", back when DTC-100 was still running on old firmware, I attempted TV's service mode and remembered a similar convergence lines shortened at top. I then retruned everything to TV factory default and waited six months for the new firmware to arrive http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Sometimes I really feel the urge to see the whole picture, I then hook my DTC100 or Dish6000 to a computer monitor, soon I will appreciate my 53" even though the sides are cut off a little, count my blessing how many unfortunate peopole on this planet who still watch 2.35X1 film through a 4X3 window with scratched sunglasses on.

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 03-16-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.