AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching "Get Carter" on 509 in HD on my Toshiba HD 65H80. There were gray bars on the top and bottom. I believe this was due to the movie being a ratio greater than 1.85 to one. I could watch it in either letterbox or cropped. :-( I thought that since I had the 16:9 ratio I wouldn't have this problem. Am I correct that this was due to the movie being filmed in a ratio other than 1.85 to 1 like possibly 2.35 to 1.

What is really confusing was one time the gray bars were black which I like MUCH BETTER than gray. When I changed the channel and then switched back I couldn't get the bars to remain black. When you push the fast forward button on the remote you can switch back and forth between cropped and letterbox but I couldn't ever find the right combination to leave the bars black.

1. Was this a glitch that left the bars black?

2. Will there always be bars as long as the ratio is higher than 1.85 to 1?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I apologise for not being able to answer you question, but what did you think of the quality of Get Carter? I thought it was fairly grainy. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
tntiger,

I also have a 65H80 and the bars are black on channel 509. What set top box are you using?

Kane

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I was watching the same movie last night and I also have the 65H80 but I am using the DST-3000 STB. I did not have a problem, the movie took up the hole screen.

orbillius,

I didnt think the quality was grainy.

------------------

Juan

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
How did you connect the DTC-100? Are you using the component input of the TV?

What is the software version of the DTC-100?

Do you have the winning Power Ball numbers?

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used component inputs to the 65H80 from the RCA DTC-100. Of course I had to use the RCA adapter to convert the output from the DTC-100 to component since my DTC-100 doesn't offer standard component output. Does any DTC-100 now offer component output?

Juan

Are you sure you were using letterbox and not the cropped view. The cropped view filled the whole screen but it cut a lot out of the view.

taron1

I'm not sure which software version I'm running. Where can I find out and how?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Look in the menu and go to Assistance, I think and look up UPGRADE.

------------------

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed that when I push the info button I get the channel info superimposed over the picture but with black bars and it shows a little more of the screen at the top and bottom. When I press the info button again to remove the channel information the bars switch back to gray and they get a little taller.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You can turn of the Gray bars in the menu and check you monitor timing in the DTC-100 menu. Make sure you have the DTC-100 set to 16x9 television not 4:3!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
taron1

You were right, my DTC-100 was set up for a 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9. Man do I feel dumb. Well, I guess this is the reason for boards like this. Thanks a million. I would have bet a ton of money I had set it up for 16:9 ratio to begin with.

Thanks everyone!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.