AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a front projection system with a 16x9 screen so I have rarely ever switched the Screen Format setting on my DTC-100 but I did this past weekend and I noticed something strange. The 4x3 picture using the DTC-100s composite video output on a 4x3 television is square (ie. 3x3)! I have large bars on the sides of the image. is I switch to a known aspect ration widescreen channel (like HBO-HD) I have the expected letterbox image (as that is how I told the DTC-100 to display widescreen images on the 4x3 output) but still with large bars on the sides. I have played with the settings for widescreen images (letterbox, fullscreen, etc) but this (of course) has no impact on the "4x3" image. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way to adjust the width of a 4x3 image? And before anyone suggests it, I have already tried this on two 4x3 televisions. Both have displayed what is basically a square image.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks, Pat

·
Registered
904 Posts
There are two settings regarding screen format on the DTC100, the 1st is what type of screen you have (16x9 or 4x3) and the second is how to handle widescreen & 4x3 material. It sounds as though your system is not set correctly for your screen type.

The DTC-100 doesn't assume that composite output = 4x3, it does - I believe - assume that RGB output = 16x9.

The other issue may be that HBO-HD isn't always brodcasting actual HD. When it's showing regular programming, it still sends as 16x9, but inserts black bars on the sides. One good way to tell whether your DTC-100 is making the bars you see is to change the color to gray, then programming-related bars will be black (you can't do anything about them) and DTC-100 created bars will be gray.

jake

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jake,

Rereading my original post I think that I was not clear. Normally, I use the RGB output for the projector on a 16x9 screen. All is well both for widescreen & 4x3 material. What I have done now is a) hooked up 2 different 4x3 displays to the composite output (one at a time) b) switched off the HD output (thereby turning on the composite output) c) changed the screen type from 16x9 to 4x3 d) set the "display widescreen material" to letterbox format. So now the 4x3 material is giving me the square image and 16x9 is displaying the letterboxed image within a square picture area.

I like your gray bar idea though. I'll check that out tonight.

Thanks,

Pat

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.