Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings--

I recently purchased a DTC 100 that is presenting a beautiful image on my 10HT. Oddly, I'm having the audio portion of HDTV and SDTV broadcasts drop out entirely. This only happens to digital, not NTSC broadcasts. I've called Thomsen, the manufacturer, and they suggested a hard reboot (jerking the plug out of my UPS and leaving the unit unpowered for ten minutes). Having done this several times, it seems to work with varied degrees of success. I'm getting some digital stations back, but seem to have permanently lost the audio portion of others. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts?

The station strengths here are typically around 78 to 88. HDTV is in a very primitive state here in the Twin Cities. The only true OTA HDTV is being broadcast over a low power antenna which I live a few miles away from. They're using an AC3 encoder to send the audio portion from this station; it's the one I have the most trouble with.

I've reset the AUDIO menu to 'Auto Select" numerous times to no effect. Is it time to look at a replacement unit?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mpls Mike,

Are you using your DTC-100 for OTA only? If so, your problem may be an old version of RCA's firmware that had some problems with digital audio.

To see what firmware version you have, go to "Assistance" then "upgrades" on your DTC-100 menu. If it says you have something lower than 4, then you need the upgrade. The only way I know how to upgrade these is to bring it to a friend's house that has DirectTV. Plug the cable coming from his dish into your satellite input, turn it on, and leave overnight. By morning you should have the upgrade.

Paul

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Mike,

Welcome to one of the best forums on the net!!!

There are many problems of late here in the Minneapolis area

with the dtv. Both ABC/50 and UPN/26 have been down of late.

They did just come back up this past weekend.

UPN has big time audio problems, I spoke with them

on the phone today, the person I spoke with had no

idea of the audio problem.

pbs was using UPN's transmitter during the outage.

How is the pbs channels for you?

Here in the north metro they are fine.

Except one channel I can't remember which one but at times

I also have no audio with it, come back to it later and all is

fine again, This happens with my dtc as well with my Pioneer and Panasonic.

It's not a DTC receiver problem.

I have real problems with ABC/UPN.

Later this fall this should be taken care of with

the tower work completed.

If you need a firmware upgrade E-mail me.

Current firmware is 4.37

You can use my dish, It's sent twice daily.

[This message has been edited by Diode1 (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Again--

Thanks for the replies. I am using the DTC 100 for OTA use only. I plan on having a dish put up this Saturday for HBO-Hd using the A La Carte programming option. Thanks for the info, Paul, I'll check my firmware version tonight. Hopefully the new firmware will download this weekend. Frankly, That entire DTC 100 user manual is impossible to get any useful information out of.

Diode, when I first hooked up, I would get channels 26 and 50 beautifully. But when I switched over to the TPT (public television) channels, I would lose audio and then selecting 26 or 50 their audio would also be lost. The only way to retrieve it would be to reboot. My solution was to avoid the TPT multi-cast channels like the plague.

I notice that Doug Amundsen of Channel 50 has posted on the TPT site that the audio transmitter for their standard defition broadcast is presently down. I'm actually relieved, at some point you wonder if it's your unit or the flaky nature of Twin Cities HDTV.

Incidentally D., do you know if there has been a new completion date publicly slated for the Telefarm project, so we can finally enjoy all the wondrous stuff everybody else on this forum is privy to?

--Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.