AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Your post is more evidence to me that Best Buy is dropping the DTC-100. The Northridge store in Los Angeles started displaying the Toshiba about a week ago with two in stock. The rep also told me that the marking on the DTC-100s in stock meant they were on clearance and wouldn't be carried. I also saw a post elsewhere saying Toshiba STBs were in stock at his Best Buy. They are priced at $699. In this store they take a credit card imprint for $200 and if you don't activate the receiver in 90 days you are charged the additional $200.

This makes sense to me for the following reasons:

1. The DTC-100 does not have component output. I don't think they know enough at Best Buy to tell you how to get an RGB output to work with TVs which have component inputs. With the adapter the price is about the same.

2. The DTC-100 is not selling. Since they have the boxes in the open I can count the actual sales. In the last 10 weeks they have sold none and have had one returned. This does not mean that I think that they can sell the Toshiba. It means that I think that when products don't move at Best Buy they try something else. They are very concerned about their turnover ratio.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Visiting Best Buy yesterday, I noticed that the DTC-100's were marked for clearance.. They had a new order of Toshiba STBs for $699.. If Best Buy is dropping the DTc-100 is there a replacement coming? Or are they replacing it with the more expensive Toshiba? Any one seen this in their local Best Buy?

E

·
Registered
19 Posts
How much was the DTC-100 @ Best Buy? I'm deciding between that and the newer Tosiba. If the price difference is big enough, I might just go with the DTC-100 for now.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I was in the Porter Ranch Best Buy (AKA Northridge?) a few months ago and a guy was in that had a HDTV ready TV and wanted HD. The salesman pointed to the DTC-100 as what he needed. I chimed in and told him HD was great. However when he was told he also needed a converter he cooled off to the idea. I think it was starting to look like a kludge.

This may be another reason Best Buy might be switching.

Rick

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's possible that things may become clearer this Wednesday, as Thomson is holding a press conference to discuss what they've called the future of digital television. Then again, maybe not.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
. . . this Wednesday . . . Thomson is holding a press conference to discuss what they've called the future of digital television.
Why do I think that this is not good news?

·
Registered
152 Posts
This will be positive news from the company's point of view. Companies don't announce press conferences several months in advance to give negative news.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No one asked me, but this is what I think. This fall, Cablevision will be rolling out its digital cable service with Sony STBs that, many believe and with very good reason, will offer HDTV subject to Firewire copy protection. And there are only, what, three HDTVs with Firewire, also from Sony, to be available in the fall. But Cablevision owns the Wiz, a major RCA retailer, and how does it make sense for Cablevision to do this to the Wiz? This is what my crystal ball says: on Wednesday Thomson is going to announce that the future of HDTV means Firewire, and that means a new line of RCA HDTVs with Firewire, and some new version of the DTC-100 that also uses Firewire.

I could be wrong, but just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

·
Registered
33,590 Posts
Bob, I think your logic is flawless. It may not happen, but I'm very pessimistic in this area and seeing the Cablevision debacle unfold, I think you're right on the mark.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i spoke to an rca rep a couple of weeks ago, and rca is going to continue to market the dtc100 as their flagship receiver until the first quarter of next year. then the dtc100 will be replaced with a new receiver that will not have the HD15 connector, but will instead have component output.

i posted this the day i came from the seminar, although i cant seem to find my original post in the search engine.

oscar

HOME THEATER CREATIONS

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Well this makes me curious. I wonder if they will offer some sort of upgrade of the DTC-100 that is in my Proscan PS38000. I have until the 7/21 to return it if not. I sure do love this TV and I hope Thomson stands by their customers. (Insert sarcastic remark here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

------------------

Why did I just spend $3000 on this thing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was in the Best Buy in Reston VA yesterday. They had three DTC-100s that they were selling as "open box" specials for $350 each. Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Yes, that is a very good deal. Make sure they give you a DIRECTV access card with it.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.