AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mits hd-ready tv that has a RGB connection and I use a vga to 5 bnc cable to connect my DTC-100. I am going to be getting a line doubler that supports HD component connections. Can I get a vga to component video cable to connect this or will I need some kind of decoder between the DTC-100 and line doubler?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Kevin:

I am not understanding exactly what you want to do.

Your DTC-100 is RGB connected to your DTV input on your Mits TV. Is that the only 1080i-capable input on your TV (true for some Mits models, not for others)?

Why would you want to connect your DTC-100 output to an input of a line doubler? The DTC-100 RGB output is already either 1080i (for HD) or 540p (for SD). No need for a line doubler as I understand it.

If you plan to use the line doubler for other non-HD inputs, and its output is actually 480p, then you could use a different input (component in) on your TV if it supports 480p.

If your only 1080i/480p input is your DTV input, then I understand a bit more. You could use the Audio Authority RGB to Component converter for your DTC-100 (others have successfully) and also be able to use the component output of your line doubler. You would need some means of switching component inputs before the TV (maybe built into the line doubler?).

Sorry if I have wandered way of course here. If you can further explain your needs than I could maybe make some relevant suggestions.

My Mits TV has 3 1080i/480p-capable component inputs, one of which also accepts RGBHV (which is connected to my DTC-100 like yours). I realize that different model and vintage Mits TVs have fewer 1080i/480p-capable inputs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Budget_HT- Actually it is not a line double, but a hd upconverter and it requires my hd input. The upconverter has serveral inputs, so I will have to connect my DTC-100 to the upconverter. The upconverter has component video connections. The only other input on my tv is a component video. I need to find a new cable to go from the DTC-100 (vga) to the upconverter (component video).

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I have no experience with them, but Audio Authority and RCA both make VGA/RGB to Component converter boxes that have been used with DTC-100 STBs and HD-ready TVs that only have component inputs. I don't know which might work better for you.

Definitely what you need is more than just a cable, unless your HD upconverter has the capability to accept VGA/RGB input (perhaps similar to the way the Mits TV does) by changing a setting.

What kind of HD "upconverter" are you using? If you mention the manufacturer and model number, perhaps others on the forum have some relevant experience. You also might consider the Video Processor area of the AVS Forum, since it sounds like the upconverter might fall into that category.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Based on the web site you provided, the component inputs of the HD upconverter will not accept the RGB output (converted to component) of your DTC-100. The upconverter accepts only 480i or 480p. The HD/RGB output of the DTC-100 is 1080i (for HD sources) and 540p (for SD sources). There is no indication that the upconverter will pass through a 1080i signal.

I believe you will need a separate component switch with inputs from the DTC-100 (after using a converter from RGB to component) and the HD upconverter, and output to the DTV imput of your TV (in component video mode).

Also, don't forget about the need to switch audio at the same time. The best audio source from your DTC-100 is the optical output, while the only audio support in the HD converter is analog stereo.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Budget_HT- I had a feeling it wasn't going to be easy to connect. I'll check with ADS about connecting my DTC-100 to it. As far as the audio goes I have everything connected to my Denon and I am not going to connect any audio to the upconverter.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Does your Denon receiver switch component video? If it does, it could serve as the needed switch between your DTC-100 (converted to component) and your HD upconverter outputs.

Be sure that the ADS folks understand that the HD output of the DTC-100 is 1080i/540p.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Budget_HT- My Denon does do component video switching, so could I use a VGA to component video cable to the Denon and then component video to my upconverter? Or would I need something in between? I didn't think about using my Denon as a switch. Thank you for all your input.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If I understand correctly, you have only one 1080i input on your TV: the DTV input which can be configured for RGBHV (as it is today with your DTC-100) or Component Video (as it needs to be for your HD upconverter).

Here is how I see your connections:

DTC-100 RGB out to RGB/Component converter in (your new Audio Authority box or equivalent).

RGB/Component converter component out to Denon component in (#1).

HD Upconverter component out to Denon component in (#2).

Denon component out to TV DTV/Component in.

DVD Player component out to HD Converter component in.

Other S-video/Composite video sources out's to HD Upconverter in's (including their analog audio).

Now your Denon will select either component in #1 for DTC-100 HDTV, etc., or component in #2 for HD Upconverter. The HD Upconverter would be used to select between DVD, etc., for the items plugged into the Upconverter.

The audio for Denon component in #2 could be the combination of analog L+R from the HD Upconverter out and optical or coaxial diigital from the DVD player. Odds are, your Denon will automatically switch between analog and digital audio sources for the same input.

I don't know the details of your Denon system, but most Dolby Digital A/V systems would behave the way I have described (i.e., automatic selection of digital audio if available or analog audio if no digital signal is present).

Good luck!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Budget_HT- I appreciate all your help. I'll order all the parts pretty soon and I hope to get my hands on the upconverter in early June. I'll let you know if I get it working. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.