AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the DTC 100 169 mod with 2 firewires.

I have the JVC and the mits hooked to it.

The JVC reads it just fine and I can record and playback with out any trouble.

The Mits is also reading its getting a signal on the firewire input. The address reads D1 but after I start recording it goes into "Error CP" after 12 seconds. It does not matter if the JVC is on or off.

If I unplug the JVC from the DTC100 so the Mits is the only deck connected

via firewire I cannot get it to recognize a signal and give me an address. Ive tried everything from different cables to turning both boxes off and on in different sequences. Im puzzled.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Alan-

First off you cannot have both the Mits and the JVC connected at the same time. Sorry but I know that is true for the Mits. Richard told me that and I confirmed it.

Second, the HDVR will will not 1394 ID with the Mits. It is a flaw in the way Richard did the Mits operation on the HDVR so you have to force the MIts into an "auto scan for digital connection" mode. There is a procedure to do this.

Before doing anything else, reboot the DTC-100 by pulling the power plug for 15 seconds and then plugging in. Do the same for the mits so it will dump the memory of the D1 connection you said.

Next, connect the firewire and this time, using a small composite video monitor connected to the Mits Composite video out, access the menu with the remote. (Under the panel) Then use the jog wheel and scroll down to the 1394 I list and select it by rotating the shuttle ring to the right. Now hit the cancel button on the front of the remote. This "cancel" button will activate the scan for all 1394 devices. Whwen you see just a "d" on the Mits it has recognized the HDVR connection. Be sure you have a DVHS tape in the deck and the DVHS green button is lit up when you do the cancel scan. Once done you can hit the menu button to exit out of that mode. Note that this procedure is in your manual and that is where I got it from.

At this point you should be able to record and play back through the DTC-100 HDVR but be sure you are tuned to an ATSC station and (very important) be sure the DTC-100 has the channel reassignment shut off. Not sure if that is what it's called but it's the feature that remapps the channel number to the analog channel. If you have this enabled on the DTC-100 you will never get the HDVR to work properly.

Hope this helps. You may need to follow this procedure a couple of times as when doing it the first time it is easy to make a wrong step and then nothing will work.

The remote control is not easy with the way you do this. The guy who designed this part must have been drunk when he did this. But, basically it does work and works well once you figure out the steps to follow. At least the Mits doesn't seem to be plague with all the other issues like the JVC but it is a bit of a confusing mess to get connected.

FYI- The link Todd posted pertains more to using the AVX than the connection of the HDVR to the Mits. I know I should add this part but have not taken the time to do it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Don, the only comment I would add is during the Mits development, it behaves a lot differently than the panasonic or jvc and he was never able to figure out how to talk to it cleanly. Now if someone from Mits wants to help Richard with some details, I know he could clean it up.

dave

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don

Your procedure worked first time. Im in business again.

Im going to use the mits for all recording and playback to keep the hours off the JVC. Im starting to get those dropouts. Ill use the JVC for playback off pre recorded DVHS tapes only.

Yes the Mits is glitch free and works great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
So Alan, you are even seeing the dropouts on the JVC. For the folks who say they never have seen the issue and imply the ones of us who do are seeing things, I sure hope for your sake you are a lucky one. MikeM, when is the HD DVD coming?

Dave

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave

Im starting to get dropouts when playing my Dtheater tapes.

I dont know if I have defective tapes or if its the deck. If I FF and then RR

the tapes it gets better but I still suffer drop outs I did not have before.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Interesting. As I posted in another thread, I had a calibration error this morning. I will try my dtheater tapes, demo, music, tonight and see if these no longer work.

Have you cleaned your deck manually yet?

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.