AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DTC-100 has been acting up for a while now. It will not receive CH 199 or 509 HD, showing "looking for satellite signal" whether connected directly to the LNB or through the accessory 22 kHz switcher. When connected to the switcher, it will also lose the non HD signal periodically and flash the same message for a second or two. When the LNB is directly connected to the DTC, the non HD channels are okay and steady. Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joelco:
My DTC-100 has been acting up for a while now. It will not receive CH 199 or 509 HD, showing "looking for satellite signal" whether connected directly to the LNB or through the accessory 22 kHz switcher. When connected to the switcher, it will also lose the non HD signal periodically and flash the same message for a second or two. When the LNB is directly connected to the DTC, the non HD channels are okay and steady. Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks

When you look at signal strength on the different sats what do you get? Are they strong enough? Have you tried changing the transponders? Check the connections at the LNB? Using RG6? Dish may have moved? Are you using the oval dish? If so these are pretty touchy and something may have bumped it...at any rate checking the signal strength with tell us the most. The HD channels are on 119 (118.8)

let us know

EAS

channels on 119 sat

[This message has been edited by EAS (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Using a Drake TSM1000A yields -39 dBm on the main sat. and -47 dBm on the HD sat. Originally the DTC read about 90 and 45 respectively. It now reads the same on the main but no signal on the HD bird. The Drake has a switchable 22 kHz tone to switch between the two LNBs and both come through into it via the switch at about the same strength as when connected directly to the meter. So it seems that the DTC has a defective HD section and an erratic 22 kHz burst that randomly activates the switch to cutoff normal reception.

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
660 Posts
Before you do anything else I'd unplug the dtc-100 from power for 5-10 minutes. I would also hit power-down arrow on the unit for a reset with power connected. See if it fixes the issues. If I'm understanding correctly you are saying that the dtc-100 is not talking to the switch correctly AND there is no signal from 119? I don't know how those switches work so this is over my head. Also strength of 45 on the dtc is too low. Try switching transponders or realign the dish to get at least over 60-70 for 119. HD channels may require a stronger signal to "lock on" than the other channels... higher bandwith and all...

cheers

EAS

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again EAS. I tried both and got about the same result.

The cooldown gave me a glimpse of the 119 satelite with a peak reading of 50 when it first powered on. But, after it

warmed back up, in a minute or so that dropped to "no signal". Likewise the main bird's channels started to dropout momentarily again after warm up. Seems like a

temperature sensitive IC to me. I may try extra cooling in the rack before trying another DTC-100.

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
A "peak" reading of 50 ain't gonna get it. You need to tune that thing up. You can replace all you want but if you can't get the signal strength above 50; you might as well have a signal strength of "0." There's really no difference. 65-75 is really minimal and 85-90 is almost essential to maintain any kind of signal strength in bad weather. I guess what I'm saying is that 0 to 50 on the scale shouldn't even be there. Anything in that range might as well be nothing.

Despite what you have said, my bet is that it's a signal strength/alignment problem. You need to get another Plus IRD and eliminate this as a possibility before moving forward IMO. We need to "know" what the signal strenghth is at the head-end and I cannot conclude that we "know" based on the information provided.

BTW... Have you moved the RG-6 to a different port on the switch and/or tried a different RG-6 cable? I'd try that too. You might want to also take a look at channel 400 since it is the Para Todas "preview" channel and it feeds off 119 too if I'm not mistaken.

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

[This message has been edited by LearningMan (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had the same problem with my DTC100. I bought it new when they first came out ( didnt have the DTV emblem on the front). I tried everything, (multiswitch, cables, resetting, peaking signal strength) with no luck. It had to be replaced. It was out of warranty by 1 month. RCA charged me 240.00 to replace it... Ive had my new unit for about 10 months now , no problems.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks eddyw. At least I now know I'm not crazy. With a reading of 45 or more I was originally able to get reliable HD on my DTC-100 till this problem showed up. Also thanks to EAS and Learningman for your helpful suggestions.

------------------

[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.