AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I recently got a Loewe Aconda (which so far, I love). Living in NYC, I wasn't going to get an HDTV converter yet, but I realized that having an HDTV without being able to watch HDTV was sort of useless. So yesterday, I went out and got a DTC-100. I am still waiting for Time Warner to come and replace my cable box with an HD box (which should come within the week, but my home theater salesman told me I could hook it up directly with the cable line, and I would get CBS and HBO in HD. So I did that, and was greeted by Big Mommas House, and later the Sopranos. Switching between regular cable and HDTV, I was stunned by the difference in quality.

My question is this: the way I presently have it set up, and I imagine it will change when the cable box comes, is that my cable line is split - one half going to my cable box (and then into my Tivo), and the other half going into the DTC-100. The half that goes into my DTC-100 used to go into my VCR which was acting as a second tuner (somewhat unnecessarily since the TV has a second tuner). In any event, the VCR used to pick up all the unscrambled cable channels I could get without a box. I assumed the DTC-100 would do the same, but it doesn't appear to. Many of the channels are fuzzy, and some don't come in at all. The two HDTV channels come in fine, but they say weak signal when I turn to them. And although I may be imagining it, I think the half that goes to the cable box is a little more fuzzy than it was. So I was wondering -- does the DTC-100 pull in a stronger signal than just the VCR -- such that I have weakened both parts?

Thanks in advance.

Alan Arkin

·
Registered
787 Posts
Im essentially in the same situation.(brooklyn)

One thing I found out from another thread is that splitters reduce your gain as much as half. Ive tested this with a direct line and a split one. Im trying a few different signal boosters with mixed results. I need one more trip to the rat shack and I think its should be all straightened out.

The reason that the ntsc picture is all fuzzy is the setting on the dtc. If the dtc is setup correctly to decode hd, it should be set to "air" and not "cable". So when it actually recieves a cable feed for the ntsc, it doesn't work properly.

Please let us know how the time warner box works. I was under the impression that the box itself would act as a settop box, and a hd decoder(like dtc100) is unnecessary.

If you live in nyc, you should invest in some cheap ota gear, most of the major stations are on the air.(most of the time)

K

·
Banned
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kyungkim:
.....The reason that the ntsc picture is all fuzzy is the setting on the dtc. If the dtc is setup correctly to decode hd, it should be set to "air" and not "cable". So when it actually recieves a cable feed for the ntsc, it doesn't work properly....K
I do not agree with your analysis. The DTC-100 shows ALL standard def as a very fuzzy signal. It has absolutely nothing to do with the "air" or "cable" setting. And most of the "fuzziness" has little to do with signal quality (although lower signal quality can certainly make this effect worse!). This includes SD DirecTV channels (which are digital) as well as OTA analog.

When I still had my DirecTV subscription I found that using the S-Video outputs into an S-Video input of my HDTV when watching SD channels looked MUCH better than using the HD outputs into the HD input of my HDTV. So I would switch both my TV and the DTC100 between HD and S-Video depending on whether I was watching HD material or not.

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.