AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the DTC-100 STB the only one on the market with 3 inputs for a HDTV signal (i.e. Sat, OTA and cable)? I'm in Chicago and hopefully CBS will eventually have HDTV over AT&T cable, so I would need this third input. I believe that most if not all of the "newer" STB's only have SAT and OTA inputs. Is there anyway around this problem, other then a switch box for the cable and OTA signal which would be a pain to switch.

I am currently considering the RCA or Hughes boxes (DTV only no room for second Dish). Any suggestions or warnings as to buying decisions are welcome. I also thought that a newer version of the DTC-100 (to make the STB feature list complete) would be out by now, but, RCA isn't talking.

Thanks,

SW

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
The newer STBs allow 3 different inputs (Sat, OTA, Cable) by diplexing the Sat input. The diplexer is max $20 from Radio Shack (the higher quality one), it basically combines the higher frequency sat signals. Additionally the advanced programming guide lets you mix and max similar channels numbers from each source in the guide and tell which to show.

The only place where the DTC-100 has an advantage in inputs ios if you have two distinct OTA antennas. Then you can mannually switch (via remote) Antenna A/B. If you don'tr have two antennas (or can use a jointenna application to have all signals on one OTA feed with multiple antennas), then the newer boxes (at least Hughes/Tosh/Mits) are much more convenient.

Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rudolpht,

So your saying if I have three HD signals coming in at the same time (SAT, OTA(antenna) and cable(AT&T)) that this diplexer would be able to combine any two of the three signals and still pass a HDTV signal similtaneously into one RF inputs? Would the DTC-100 and/or Hughes be able to recognize the different signals that are combined, or would there be degredation or lack of resolution? Obviously I could only view one signal at a time. Am I understanding this correctly? If not, please explain in more detail.

Once again I am considering the new Hughes STB for this potential set-up.

Thanks,

SW

·
Registered
195 Posts
SWSWSWSWSW,

I'm in the same situation as you. I plan on having OTA, DirectTV, and Time Warner Cable HDTV feed.

I tried combining the signals from OTA and Time Warner HDTV feed through a couple of Radio Shack devices to an accessDTV card and I was unsuccesful.

It seems that the RCA DTC-100 is the best bet for what we are trying to acomplish unless someone else has sucessfully combined the cable and OTA signal through a STB.

I would appreciate to know if anyone has done this because I am interested in buying the Hughes STB if that is the case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back to top,

Has anyone been able to use a diplexer successfully with the new Hughes STB? As seen above, frankx99 was unsuccessful. It says in the Hughes manual that using a diplexer is possible, but, I guess I just need confirmation. Please give part numbers of the diplexer used. As the Hughes manual reads, some diplexers cannot handle the SAT/OTA or SAT/Cable combination and pass the signal correctly.

Thanks again,

SW

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SWSWSWSWSW:
Would the DTC-100 and/or Hughes be able to recognize the different signals that are combined, or would there be degredation or lack of resolution? SW
There are two inputs on the Hughes/Tosh/Mits

One labeled SATELITE IN can take just a Satellite or with a Diplexer both Satelite and (Antenna or Analog Cable). There is no loss using a Diplexer. I have used one to combine Sat and Antenna for a while. Typically they are used at two ends so you need only one cable to combine Sat & Antenna & other to break it out. The frequency bands do not overlap. (If you tried to combine two antennas or antenna and cable with a diplexer it WOULDN'T work).

One Labeled IN FROM ANT can take Antenna or Analog Cable.

The only restriction is from the three inputs two cannot be OTA, i.e. you can't try to use two OTA sources in this manner.

The bottom line is you only watch one source at a time anyways, but in one consolidated guide it will autyomatically switch in the appropriate source based on how you set the guide up.

It WORKS! Do a search on the three units there are plenty of stories/confirmations.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.