AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a DTC-100 when they first came out. I use it only for OTA reception. I have now purchased a stereo receiver with optical inputs. It seems that the optical output on my DTC-100 does not work, even though I enabled it on the DTC-100's audio menu.

If it were working, would I visually be able to verify that the optical output was working by seeing a red light in the optical output jack? The stereo works fine with the optical output of my CD player.

I assume it would cost hundreds of dollars to fix the DTC-100.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I use the optical output and it works just fine.

You mention that you use the optical output from your CD player into your stereo. Is it possible that you your stereo has PCM decoding but does not have Dolby Digital decoding? This could be the problem.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
When you went into the DTC-100 Audio menu and set up for optical output, did you set for "auto select"? I had to set mine, it defaulted to analog only out of the box. My audio receiver is also set for auto detect, so depending on what is being received, you may get DD 2.0, not 5.1 from OTA, but 5.1 on some PPV movies and DirecTV HD demo channel 199.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Budget_HT (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Kipp and others,

The Dtc-100's digital output works on everything. I have no analog connection to the box and everything comes in fine. Possibly yours is defective. More likely you do not have it properly setup. I certainly would not go back and forth between digital and analog as I "surfed." that would be a major pain. Art

·
Registered
219 Posts
Try to use a higher grade optical cable. When I first hooked up my DTC-100 via optical I couldn't get it to work due to a cheapo cable. I replaced it with an Monster cable and now it works fine. Hope this helps!

James

·
Registered
469 Posts
Kipp,

As you mentioned, if set up that way you could only receive the optical out if it were setup in the DTC 100 setup menu to output that way. It can be configured to output all signals in through the optical out. Also, I would check your receiver to ensure you are setup so that the signal input is setup for Digital, alot of receivers will default to analog if the power has been disconnected. Good luck solving your problem.

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To you DTC-100 users with working optical outputs: Can the presence of an optical output be verified by just looking at the output connector, or attached cable, to check for a red light? This seems to be the case for my CD player.

Is the menu sequence on the DTC-100 to enable the Optical Output just MENU,Audio...,Auto Select?

Are the analog audio outputs always active, regardless of the optical output?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.