AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DTC-100, and am only using it right now to pick up two Time Warner HDTV channels (HDTV and CBS). I am waiting for Time Warner to receive additional HD cable boxes. I am not using it for DirecTV. I have a couple of questions: 1. Is there any way to receive firmware updates without DirecTV, and more importantly, 2. Since I have a cable line hooked up to the DTC-100 (to pick up the 2 channels), I was wondering why it does not pick up all of the unscrambled cable channels. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Answers:

1) No, you need a satellite dish to get the software upgrades - although a friend with a dish will do. You just need to leave it hooked up overnight (maybe two nights) and the upgrade will download and install.

2) My understanding is that the NY HD cable feeds are on 'UHF' frequency channels which are different than cable frequency channels. What you need to so is hook up a spliter and feed one output to Antenna A and the other to Antenna B. Set 'A' to 'Air' and scan to pick up the HD channels, the Set 'B' to 'Cable' and scan to pick up the cable channels.

------------------

Visit http://pub1.ezboard.com/fdigitaltele...isionnewsforum for news and information on DTV and HDTV

·
Registered
16 Posts
1) I also live in NYC and am using the DTC-100 for OTA only. I have been in contact with RCA customer for over a month. They keep promising to provide a firmware update by a service call to my home or at their service center but they have not yet delivered. I plan to keep trying.

2) I have no problem getting the non-scrambled channels from TWCNY without using the A/B antennas suggested by Lee Wood. I set it to cable on antenna A and ran the setup search. It came up with HDTV CBS as 102-1 and HBO-HD as 104-1 and 117 as a test pattern. The rest of the stations came up as regular channels (4 was 4, etc). I also tried setting it up using air instead of cable but with the caboe feed as well and that worked too - CBS as 46 and HBO as 48. You might try re-running the set up. I now set up Antenna B for OTA. I get Fox 5 HD from a Terk 55 in my window (E.85th at York 7th floor, south exposure but with big buildings blocking my view. I don't get Channel 2 (also Empire State Building) or any of the WTC stations. Position is hypercritical - a few inches makes a difference. Hope this helps.

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.