AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used unit and at first I didn't like it, but getting used to it, and I bought a RF remote so I can control it from various parts of my home. The question is I have a Single cable line coming into my home(RG6) and I have been using Diplexers on the line, so when I switch from cable to DTV, all I have to do is set the TV to channel 4 and turn on the DTV and when I turn it off it goes back to cable as the default. The problem I have is the DTC-100 doesn't do this, meaning you have to have the unit on if you want to watch cable. Is there something I am missing in the settings? Or do I have to have the unit on to view cable, or do I need to run a seperate cable line.

Thanks for any help.

Gar

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone help me with this question? Basically what I want to do with the DTC-100 is when I turn it off, I have cable as backup and for local area channels can this be done with the DTC-100 or do I have to run another cable line?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I am not sure you have provided enough infomation about how your equipment is connected. However I do have a suggestion. Just leave the power on all the time for your DTC100. Even when the power is off, the fan still runs and it is capable of receiving updates so you are not even saving much electicity. I don't think there is any harm whatsoever with leaving the power on all the time. I have done that with mine for over a year with no ill effects. I have read that many other DTC100 owners do the same. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jay thanks for the response. I had a newer unit plugged in downstairs, and when I powered it down(Turned it off) it went back to cable as a default. I am using some Diplexiers which allows you to carry two signals on one line, not at the sametime of course but it works great without having to rewire the cable in ones home. The problem I have now is when I use the DTC-100 and I turn it off I get nothing upstairs, meaning no cable. In order for me to get cable I need to have the unit on and set to Antenna A. So the only way to get around this is to run another line, unless there is some setting on the DTC-100 I am missing.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Garman,

Your problem may be related to the fact the when you power off the DTC100 it really doesn't turn off. What happens when you unlug the DTC100? I know this doesn't fix your problem but it might provide some insight into what is happening. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
garman:

I'm still not sure what you are trying to do, but let me share what I've done and maybe you'll get an idea that fits your needs.

My DTC-100 has all three inputs connected: Satellite in, OTA rooftop antenna to Antenna A and AT&T Cable to Antenna B. I have the RF output of the DTC-100 available to other TVs in the house by feeding it (through a selector switch) to the original coax in the house.

Note that the RF output has NO output when the DTC-100 is in the HD-on (RGB/VGA) mode. In the HD-off mode, the RF out has the same content as the S-video and composite video out's (and there is NO RGB/VGA output).

To watch OTA HD programs, we select Antenna A. To watch in true HD, we set the DTC-100 to HD-on (thus shutting off the output to the RF, S-video and composite video jacks). To watch throughout the house, we set the DTC-100 to HD-off and utilize the S-video connection for the living room viewing. (I have two connections from the DTC-100 to my TV: RGB/VGA direct and S-video via my A/V receiver.)

To watch cable programs, we set the DTC-100 to Antenna B. HD-on and -off behaves the same as described above.

To watch satellite, we select DirecTV (satellite) on the DTC-100. Again, HD-on and -off behave the same.

Instead of an RF remote, I use IR/RF repeaters with IR receivers/RF senders in three rooms and one RF receiver/IR sender in the living room. This gives me the ability to use original or universal remotes to control all components in my living room system from any of the other three rooms. This includes a VCR, DVD player and two DirecTiVo units. Any one of them can be selected for feeding the rest of the house.

Later I will be adding a multi-channel modulator so that all sources will be available simultaneously in all rooms (by selecting the appropriate UHF or cable channels originated by the modulator). This will allow each room to select any source they want.

BTW, I use my VCR as a cable tuner most of the time for the extra rooms. The VCR RF in is connected to Cable and the RF out is connected to the selector switch for the other rooms. I have connected my two DirecTiVo composite and analog audio outputs to the two line inputs of the VCR, allowing me to select either DirecTiVo from any downstream room. In effect, the VCR serves as a modulator, giving me all cable channels plus the two DirecTiVo units (on channels "0" and "1"). This works well for us because we rarely use the VCR to watch movies any more, leaving it available for use by the other rooms. Note that all other rooms see the same program because they are actually tuning using the VCR, not their internal TV tuners which are set and left on channel 3.

Hopefully this gives you some more ideas to work with.

------------------

Dave

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I wanted to hook up the system so you don't have to have the DTC-100 on while watching cable, that is what I was trying to achieve. But it looks like the tuner section of the DTC-100 has a much better tuner than most TVs. Thanks for the input, I am still in the process of hooking everything up the way I want it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.