Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

Well, hopefully you can help me out here. I have been an avid reader here, and i think this is one of the best forums around for these topics.

I have recently bought a Panny, 50LC13 lcd projection and I have some quesitons on setting up an RCA dtc-100 HDTV STB with this set.

I had just regular cable hooked up and it looked pretty much like crap. I then bought a new progressive dvd player with composite video outs and that looks fantastic.

So now I figured I would tackle my directv video. I was using an old RCA reciever that only had s video out. So then I started shopping around for an directv reciever that had composite outs, then I found the dtc-100 for a resonable price. And it has the rgb output, which the panny has 2 rgb inputs.

Now, onto the setup. I plugged everything in, went through some of the setup menus and found that regular directv broadcast looks fuzzy using the rgb connector. WHY?

then I hooked up the svideo from the dtc-100 and directv broadcast still looks kinda fuzzy.

I just ordered a dish with 3 lnb's so I can get HD over satellite, and I have not hooked up OTA HD yet, I figured I wanted to get this straightened out first.

Should I convert the rgb to composite? should I convert the svideo to composite? I am kinda stuck and disappointed with the PQ from the dtc-100 with regular channels so far. Any suggestions?

Thanks

saaben

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Regular (SD) Directv channels do look kinda poor/fuzzy. They are compressed and broadcast at 480i. If you hook your panny up via s-video (s-video supplies a 480i signal) then your panny is scaling the 480i to its resolution (I'm not sure what resolution that is). If you hook it up via RGB, then the DTC-100 is receiving the 480i signal and scaling it to 1080i and then sending it to your projector to become down-rezzed to the panny's resolution.

I know that the DTC-100 does not do a very good job of scaling, at least no where near as good as my HDTV, so unless I'm watching HD/ED, I let my TV do the scaling via an s-video connection. When watching HD however, the picture is terrific via the RGB connection.

Although you will never be totally happy w/ SD channels, your best bet would be to have an HTPC/scaler, scale the image to the panny's resolution and then send it via RGB. This only works however if the HTPC/scaler has better scaling capabilities than the DTC-100 (which it does) or the panny (which I don't know).

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I thought the DTC-100 scales SD material to 540p. I watch all my SD shows via RGB to my monitor and there is no way to tell what resolution it is, but I do notice the monitor DOES change resolutions going from a HD channel to a SD channel. I don't have the dtc-100 manual anymore, so I can't verify this. Maybe someone else can chime in, because I may be wrong, maybe it is scaling to 1080i.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Whoa, DTC100 will not give you HD to your tv unless your panny has a 15 pin connection without that you need to convert signal with a RRCA VHDC 300, you can find these on Ebay from $40 up. These units(DTC100) are old an I find em for $50 sometimes, they are also really slow compared to 3rd/4th gen units, but if you buy the vhdc box an hook up to your tv you should see HDTV in fine 1080i.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
taz,

I looked through the manual and of course, it doesn't say. But I am fairly sure that the RGB outputs 1080i regardless of signal. My TV does not change resolutions when switching from HD to SD.

gpunk2,

Whoa, the original poster has already stated his display device has 2 rgb inputs. No need for a transcoder.

As far as the vhdc is concerned, it is garbage. Even though it was slated specifically for the DTC-100, the Key Digital transcoder is far better and even the Audio Authority is better. I used to get serious banding with the vhdc.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
dstein,

What makes you think the scaling of 480i is to 540p rather than 1080i? Because unless you know that is true for a fact, I would have to disagree.

Here is an old on-line review: http://www.laaudiofile.com/dtc100.html

Here is a quote from that review:
Quote:
Performance:

The VGA-style (RGB/HV) connector on the back outputs all signals in the 1080I format. This raises an interesting question for material that is native 720P or 480I. While I didn't see any objectionable artifacts while watching 720P material being converted to 1080I in the DTC100, I did find that native 480I material being upconverted to 1080I can look pretty poor. Terrestrial analog broadcasts looked much better using the internal line doubler of the PRO-610HD rather than the upconverted 1080I from the DTC100.
To the best of my knowledge and conversations with experts, the DTC-100 outputs only 2 resolutions: 480i and 1080i.

Unfortunately, my unit broke so I cannot re-verify that there is no resolution change when moving from a 480i source to a 1080i via the RGB output.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by taz291819
I thought the DTC-100 scales SD material to 540p.
Correct.

1080i & 720p come out as 1080i, everything else is at 540p, when in HD mode.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rbmcgee
To the best of my knowledge and conversations with experts, the DTC-100 outputs only 2 resolutions: 480i and 1080i.
Nope. See my post directly above.

The reason your display does not 'see' any difference, is because 1080i & 540p use the same video timing. There are a few rare displays that don't like 540p, but the overwhelming majority that do 1080i also do 540p without a hitch.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
rbmcgee,

Widescreen Review has a review of the DTC-100, issue 36. The reviewer states: "It will receive analog broadcast and standard definition D* and up-convert them to 540p".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.