AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I just recieved my dtc100 yesterday. I did the modification that keeps the unit from upgrading as I get the impresson that the new upgrade makes the reciever less sensitive. I am only using it at this time with my Cox cable system. I'm feeding it to my RCA Big Sreen Via SVHS.

My problem I get channel updates off normal TV with Cable directly connected to TV, But with Cable on Ant. A input I get no program Guides altho it gos thru the selection process & it picks up all the active channels on signal strength they all show N/A.

And yes I selected Get Off Air Guides.

Any Ideas Group

Bohunk

PS. Sorry about the cross post

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Bohunk,

Where did you get the idea that there's an "upgrade" that makes the DTC100 less sensitive? This is the first I've ever heard of this.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Bohunk, If you are only using cable, why do you have a DTC100? A DTC100 will pull in OTA digital channels if you can receive them from your location, and it will also receive DirecTv/via satellite which you obviously do not have. The DTC100 program guide is fed down from the DirecTv satellite. Since you do not receive satellite, you also get no program guide. Please read the manual that came with the receiver, and it will explain this very clearly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BENJI, On page 32 tirled Bringing up the Program Guides

1st Paragraph

If you subscribe to DIRECTV programming you have access to two

program guides: a DIRECTV guide and a TV program guide ( for

terrestrial programming ). If you do not subscribe to DIECTV

programming. you will have one guide: the TV program guide.

I have cable on ANT. A

I have VHF-UHF ANT. on ANT. B

I am planning to subscibe to DIRECTV in near future after I install

2 dishes as 1 aimed at the 119 deg Sat. & 1 aimed at the 101 deg

Sat with a 22 Khz switch gives a better signals than using the eliptical dish. Also cost is about the same.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Bohunk; my experience with the DTC 100, which dates back to the original rollout of the product, suggests that the various downloads have improved the product incrementally with each load, including OTA reception Until you install your sat dish, you will not receive the downloads at any rate. You mentioned that you are hooked up with a S video cable to your monitor. If your monitor will accept the output of the VGA port on the DTC 100, you should expect a significantly improved picture. Regards.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

Originally posted by Bohunk
BENJI, On page 32 tirled Bringing up the Program Guides

1st Paragraph

If you subscribe to DIRECTV programming you have access to two

program guides: a DIRECTV guide and a TV program guide ( for

terrestrial programming ). If you do not subscribe to DIECTV

programming. you will have one guide: the TV program guide.

I have cable on ANT. A

I have VHF-UHF ANT. on ANT. B

I am planning to subscibe to DIRECTV in near future after I install

2 dishes as 1 aimed at the 119 deg Sat. & 1 aimed at the 101 deg

Sat with a 22 Khz switch gives a better signals than using the eliptical dish. Also cost is about the same.
[/QUOTE

Bohunk, you are correct in assuming from the receiver manual that you should be receiving a regular TV program guide. However, I am certain that program info for this guide must be downloaded from the satellite, otherwise you will get a generic (regular programming) guide only. Additionally, from my experience with the DTC100, you probably will not get any regular TV info even after you install the satellite. Even with the satellite, I continue to get the generic TV guide along with the DirecTv guide. I'm not sure if this is because of my particular area (zip code, etc.) or if this is a universal problem.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The guide is terrestrial (OTA or Over the Air) only and not from cable TV. I'm fairly sure you cannot get a channel guide from cable stations.

As far as the DTC firmware upgrades lowering the sensitivity of the unit...well I don't think this is true. I've posted information here for DTC users to lock their firmware for many reasons...most are just so that you have control over the unit taking upgrades. In other words having the ability to chose if you want an upgrade or not based on your own criteria....also some units do not survive the upgrade process for unknown reasons so locking the firmware gives you some confidence you wont have a doorstop on your hands. For the most part the upgrades are fine. If you recieved a unit with very old firmware you _could_ benifit from a lot of the changes....

Out of curiosity what mod did you perform? clip and ground?

Cheers

EAS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1st thanks for all the insite gang

David & Eas: I did the cut & Grnd. I've since taken it out the hardest part was reconnecting clip.

As far as the idea! the way I understood it, it's not really a lowering of the sensitivity, but earlier versions before 5.0 would detect weaker stations, altho when viewing would drop in & out. So by raising the threshold they were able to improved this problem. As at this time in New Orleans we are due stations in the near future, but I would like to recieve even the weaker signals as then I could develop an antenna system to compensate

Benji: We are on Cox cable in this area and my RCA Big Screen I now get channel information transmitted on channel #9 a Fox affiliate. When I turn the unit off it automatically switches my cable box to channel #9 & picks up info on all cable channels I have selected

JCThomas: I wish I had a VGA input. Basically I intend to ride my existing set up till such time as HDTV becomes more popular.

Again Thanks All

Continueing to Learn

Bohunk

·
Registered
660 Posts
I see what you are saying about the sensitivity. That makes sense, though I have not had any experience here in SF since I am about 20 blocks from Sutro Tower where most of our stations broadcast from. Seems too me that if you put up a good antenna that you wont need the sensitivity.

I'm sure you aren't interested in going back into the box to mess with the mod, but others might be interested in adding a switch or a jumper to the mod so that the mod is reversable without getting out the soldering iron. Be VERY carefull when your machine takes an upgrade. Do not unplug or mess with the unit for at least 20 minutes after it goes bluescreen on you. The process says it takes 4 minutes once the unit turns off, but be on the safe side. If you have kids I would keep the machine and the remote etc out of reach. The upgrades are coming down now so once you hook up a dish you will get one if the power is plugeed in on the dtc. Also, I haven't checked recently but the upgrade used to come down twice a day. It used to come down at about 4pm pacific time every day and about 1:30 am. If you are setting up a dish I would do it in the morning so that you down get an upgrade attempt during dish setup. Setup would certainly interupt the upgrade and make a doorstop. (just ask Mr Landis...he is too familiar with this0

I should mention that older firmware can get you a premium on ebay and other places. Some people are looking for machines in an older state.

EAS

·
Registered
5 Posts
EAS

I noticed you seem to know a lot about the DTC 100 and the upgrade mod that you can do so it will not get upgrades. I did the clip and ground mod, and when it went to try to upgrade it worked, but then it shut down and the HD RCVR light came on. The only way to turn the receiver on again was to unplug and plug back in, I tried the reset and it didn't respond. When I finally get it back on, it gives me a message that says" An attempt to upgrade your software has been unsuccessful" I press OK and it goes away until the next scheduled upgrade. I have reversed the mod and now when it receives an upgrade I can watch the % complete up to 100% and the it say's "Please be patient while your system upgrades will take 4 min", About 10 seconds after this message comes up the receiver shuts down and the HD RCVR light comes on and again the only way to turn it back on is to unplug and plug back in. Also I am now losing my sat 101 when I change to an HD channel and return back to a regular one. The only way I can fix this is to change the transponder on the sat 101 and then it's OK until I change to an HD channel again. I phoned RCA and they told me that it was a software problem, and that if I sent $239.00 to them along with the receiver, then they would have a look at it.

Is there any way to reset the software or firmware and start from scratch by loading on new firmware?

Hope someone out there can help me

Smalliehunter.:(

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The DTC-100 *is* equipped to provide program guides for OTA stations, but only for staions that broadcast PSIP info (which means only digital stations) and only if that station broadcasts electronic program guide info as part of their PSIP.

I believe tha the only digital station here in S.F. that regularly puts program guide info on the PSIP is KQED/30. the others just broadcast the data for channel re-mapping.

If you're getting program guide info via your cable system, it's being provided by the cable head-end and apparently is in a format that isn't compatable with the DTC-100. This makes sense, since digital cable uses a different signal format than digital OTA.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Firmware upgrades are not sent in a cavilier fashion as some here may think. Granted a few owners have had catastrophic failures due to an interrupted download, but remember you are given a warning not to interupt it (QED). The upgrades are sent as a service to correct known flaws and add functionality. I look at the firmware upgrades in the same light as the access card, it is key (not owned or controlled by me ) to allow the use of my system. As for assertations that any sensitivity is lost, I await hard numbers rather than anncecdotal claims. In closing I remind any would be modifiers out there that the modification voids warranty and may result in an expensive 25lb. door stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.