AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both the manuals for the RCA DCT-100 and the Mits 73411 STINK!

What is the proper way to connect the DTC-100 for DirectTV HD and OTA HD Signals?

I would assume the HD-15Pin Out on the DTC, but there is not a HD-15 on the Mits, just component and component w/ sync....

If anyone is in Chgo and want to set this thing up.... :)

Thx!

Scott

btw, do I have to have a 3 LNB Dish if I have the DualLNB Eliptial w/ ParaTodos???

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The DTC-100 can be connected to the Mits TVs one of two ways. You can use the "breakout cable" mentioned above. This will give you 5 wires to attach to the 5 inputs on the TV. The alternative is to use a "transcoder" which converts the RGB signal to the more typical 3 wires which are usually labeled Y Pb Pr. These three connect to the TV without the H and V connections. Several companies make transcoders. I use the RCA transcoder. I am not sure there is any benefit of using one method over another. If I remember correctly in the setup menu of the TV there is a place to tell the TV which type of HD input you are using, as it will not automatically sense it and use the correct one. In addition, you will have to tell the DTC-100 which type of connection you have. I believe this is in the last menu item under assistance. You have to set the "retrace timing" for the type of connection you have. There are three choices. The middle one would be correct if you use a breakout cable, the bottom one correct for the RCA transcoder.

If you have the Dual LNB dish, you have the correct dish, but you probably don't have the third LNB. This LNB is slightly different from the others and is the only one you can use for the 110 satellite.

SMK

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roy,

Thx for the quick reply! The manuals are horrible, and tech support isnt much better!

The DTC was a OpenBox for $50.00 and I couldnt pass it up. But someone must have stolen the cables as they replaced whatever came with it, with 5 Monster RCA Cables.

I picked up a RGB HD-15 to 3 Wire RCA Monster, but that didnt do it and was driving me nuts!

On the Mits, there are 2 Component and 1 RGBHV (RCA) . The RGBHV is the only one marked DTV. Can I use the Components inputs with the transcoder and still get HiDef DirectTV and OTA HD?

Can I run the 3 Components thru my scaler to scale up the Non-HD DTV stuff to 1080i?

Thx in advance!!

Scott

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have an older Mitsubishi which has only one component and one HD input. I believe on the newer Mitsubishis the two component inputs will only accept 480p, and only the HD input 1080i. Therefore, the scaler wouldn't work through the other component inputs.

For HD you will need a breakout cable with 5 outputs, one each to R G B H and V. If you get the transcoder, it is only three outputs which go to the R G and B.

I got my DTC-100 new. It came with three RCA cables meant for HD (but they were pretty flimsy), and some very good S-VHS and audio cables. There was no breakout cable that came with the original anyway. I hope you got the remote, but if you didn't, you can easily get an RCA remote for about $20 or a programmable OFA for about $30.

Remember, once you've decided how to connect the DTC-100 to the TV, to adjust the input on your TV setup to tell the TV whether the HD input is RGB or component. And also, don't forget adjusting the DTC-100 raster. Last, if you just got the DTC-100, it probably doesn't have the latest firmware. The firmware is updated by a stream sent from DirecTV, and they haven't been sending it lately. There were two recent threads about this, and you can easily search for them.

Also, for more info on Mitsubishi HD TVs the place to go is

www.***************.com

where there is an amazing amount of info available.

SMK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.