AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read reports where the new firmware for the DTC-100 was sent every day at 4:30PM and 5:00AM. I've been at 2.37 since August 9th when I first signed up with DirecTV. I finally spoke with someone knowledgeable at DirecTV. I was told the upgrade schedule for the DTC-100 ended on January 4th. There are other upgrades going on for various TIVO units but nothing more for the DTC-100.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have 2 boxes. I acquired the second box in April 2001 connected to the dish and it got the latest software within about 4 hours. I watched it download. (is that bad or what) I think its 40b but I could be wrong. I see a few boxed on Ebay that are hacked so they would not receive updates. I don't really know why and I am not sure I want to know. I'm not sure why yours has not receive an update. My point is if they quit on Jan 4th 2001 then I should not have receive my update in April 2001.

------------------

Hello ! My name is Mike and I’m a Home Theater Addict.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. DirecTV support is a labyrinth of 800 numbers with an infinite number of extensions and has a staff of people that have no idea what I'm referring to. This last person I spoke with at least knew the subject and gave me the date of Jan 4th.

Has anyone else received the new code since recently installing a DTC-100?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Since there are still a fair number of new RCA DTC-100s in the pipeline that do not have the latest sw load and the down load is necessary to more easily access all of the features, does anyone else have experience with installs of new DTC-100 that have received the down load recently?

------------------

J Thomas

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
They are hacked to prevent upgrades so that they can still take H-cards, rather than the newer HU-cards. This is to allow all sorts of unscrupulous behavior that we don't discuss on these legal, family-friendly forums.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

In fairness to the hackers, I believe if you have an older access card you would have to spend money to get a newer one. I, for instance, got a DTC-100 without any card. I have a newer card (HU style) from another RCA receiver, so it's no biggie to me whether my box takes the upgrade or not.

BTW, I have 4.0b, which I don't actually think is the newest firmware. I think it's 4.32 or some such.

Mark

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo:
They are hacked to prevent upgrades so that they can still take H-cards, rather than the newer HU-cards. This is to allow all sorts of unscrupulous behavior that we don't discuss on these legal, family-friendly forums.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

In fairness to the hackers, I believe if you have an older access card you would have to spend money to get a newer one. I, for instance, got a DTC-100 without any card. I have a newer card (HU style) from another RCA receiver, so it's no biggie to me whether my box takes the upgrade or not.

BTW, I have 4.0b, which I don't actually think is the newest firmware. I think it's 4.32 or some such.

Mark

Sorry,

my dtc-100 is not "hacked". It was purchased from Tweeter thank you.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed a dtc100 with the 40b firmware last weekend. I haven't received a firmware update yet.

I called DirecTV, and the associate with whom I spoke was generally clueless. She finally told me that an update went out on the 20th, and another would go out September 30th. That just doesn't sound credible to me. I don't understand why they would be so stingy with the bits, and why my receiver wouldn't pick them up if they were distributed.

Today, I called RCA, and got a pretty nice guy on the phone who seemed to understand the problem. He concurred in my impression of the DirecTV reps. For some reason, he couldn't answer my question this afternoon, but promised to call back next week.

I'm pretty frustrated with the DTC100 at this point. Do I read correctly that Dish has HD programming on a satellite at 148 now? I can't see the one in the east because of a hill. Is Dish a better choice at this point? Or should I buy a Sony? It shouldn't be this difficult.

chris vandemore

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my situation, I bought my DTC-100 and MM36100 thru an RCA distributor in May of 2000. I was more interested in the OTA stuff at the time. Terrible cable service and a free installation offer from DirecTV allowed for me to get a dish installed recently. It already has the HU card. Still, no firmware upgrade since installation date. Aug 9th. Still at 3.72. Per DirecTV, they stopped sending out the code back on Jan 4th.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I installed a DTC-100 for the first time this May. The update to A04.37 was downloaded at 1am the first night after I called DirectTv to activate the box.

Regardless of what the DTV people are saying, I'll bet that this is still going on every night. Maybe it doesn't work right if you aren't activating a new box with a new card (?)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
vandemor:

Are you sure that you are leaving your DTC-100 powered up all night? This may seem obvious, but it never hurts to ask.

When you talked to RCA, did you talk to DTC-100 tech support at 888-901-4388? I found those folks very knowledgable, courteous and helpful when I was first setting up my STB and oval dish.

Good Luck!!

Dave

·
Registered
780 Posts
I can state for a certainty that DirecTV did not stop sending out the software update for the RCA DTC 100 in January. I have checked with a number of friends that installed as late as last month that received the upgrade to versionA04.37 (the latest one of which I am aware). A conversation with DirecTV late today suggested that they are sending out the download every Sunday. So, it would appear that the daily download is not going on at this time, but the facts are a bit "evasive".

------------------

J Thomas

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Kipp, no one said your DTC-100 was hacked. Calm down, please.

Mark

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once the installer set up the dish, he called DirecTV and reported the model number 'DTC-100', serial number and the HU card number to the lady operator. So they know another DTC-100 is now in service. Yet no new code since the install. I did talk with an engineer from RCA at the 888-901-4388 number an they are very knowledgeable and helpful. Actually, I spoke with three different engineers at three different times. The first time this engineer stated that DirecTV wasn't pushing out the code and their was nothing wrong with my unit. He suggested that I call DirecTV back and request a supervisor. I did. This supervisor still had no idea what I was talking about but I convinced her to have a three-way conference call with an RCA engineer at the above number. We did and she saw the light but still nothing was ever done. I got another supervisor this past Thursday that knew about the DTC-100 and code upgrades and she told me this ended on Jan 4th.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Budget HT:

Actually, the DTC-100 is always on, even when you turn off the the power button. That power button, all it does is stop sending out the video. There's a low noise fan inside that is always on. Only way to completely turn off the unit is to unplug it.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Dave:

I should have been more specific. I caught my son trurning off the power strip at night, thus shutting down my DTC-100 and my DirecTiVo's. I never would have guessed that he would have reached behind the entertainment center to do that.

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Budget_HT:
vandemor:

Are you sure that you are leaving your DTC-100 powered up all night? This may seem obvious, but it never hurts to ask.

When you talked to RCA, did you talk to DTC-100 tech support at 888-901-4388? I found those folks very knowledgable, courteous and helpful when I was first setting up my STB and oval dish.

Good Luck!!

Dave

I'm leaving it powered up all the time. I've checked the signal strength on each transponder, and it's approximately 80+ on each except for one on the 119 sat which hovers around 70. I've called RCA at the number listed above. They are indeed more clueful than the DirecTV people, but unable to help.

chris vandemore

·
Registered
121 Posts
I read somewhere that the DTC100 goes through it's upgrade scheduling process when it is first turned on. Try unplugging yours (then wait a few minutes) then plug it back in and turn it on. It will say "searching for satillite", and then come back on line. Check a day or two later and see if things haven't improved.

BTW, I bought my DTC100 in June. I signed up with DirecTV in July, and received the new firmware via a download in about two days.

[This message has been edited by PJH (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PJH:
I read somewhere that the DTC100 goes through it's upgrade scheduling process when it is first turned on. Try unplugging yours (then wait a few minutes) then plug it back in and turn it on. It will say "searching for satillite", and then come back on line. Check a day or two later and see if things haven't improved.

Ok, I'm trying this. I'm not very hopeful, but I'll report back. To tell you the truth, if someone were to tell me to light a candle and say an incatation over the thing, I'd probably try that too.

chris vandemore

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.