AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While watching BoB last night (downconverted 1080i through s-video), the image all of a sudden looked as if the cable wasn't connected properly. Color dissapeared and was replaced by rainbow-like fluctuations. I switched to channel 501 and everything looked fine, back to 509 and after a few seconds the odd colors returned. Is this due to overheating or is it a known "bug" when downconverting 1080i through the s-video ?

Thanks for your help

------------------

Sergio R.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You're not alone. If you search back through the archives, I have complained about the EXACT same problem on my RCA DTC-100 on a couple of occasions.

I also called RCA - the DTC-100 specific customer service line. They are aware of the problem and said it only occurs when watching HDTV material down-converted and output through the s-video connector. They would not elaborate on what causes the problem, and the solution (get this) was to buy an HDTV and stop using the s-video connector! Message to RCA: give me an HDTV at I can afford, and I'll stop complaining.

However, I watched BoB on 9/9/01 from 9pm to 11:05pm ET on channel 509, output through s-video to my non-HDTV TV and did NOT see the rainbow affect.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Several of us have experienced this when watching the HBO HD stuff downconverted. The consensus is that it is due to Macrovision protection. It is usually rather intermittent, coming and going; I think they must turn it on and off periodically, or maybe it's only on certain shows.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
highwire,

I looked into the archives but the # of hits was simply staggering, I'll filter it down and read some more. At least I'm not alone on this one.

Steve,

If it is macrovision and given I experienced it again last night into the second hour of BoB, why would I get it and not others ? Could Macrovision be selective (unlikely) ?

No appearance in HDnet as of yet, I wonder if it's film-related. I'll search and read some more instead of asking questions that might have been discussed already.

Thanks for your input.

------------------

Sergio R.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
FWIW, I have been watching HD since Nov., 2000, using a DTC-100, sometimes using S-video and sometimes via RGB. We do not subscribe to HBO. We have never seen the "rainbow" artifacts that others have described on any OTA channel (we have 5) nor on the DirecTV demo channel or more recently on HDNet.

The reason we frequently watch via S-video is because the DTC-100 signal is routed throughout the house. As you already know, watching RGB shuts off the S-video and composite. So, if we're watching only our HD-ready set, we use RGB. If we are watching elsewhere in the house, we use S-video (for the HD set) and composite video (sent to other parts of the house).

Our experience seems to confirm that the problem you describe might be limited to the HBO channel for HD.

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
On occassion i get the same effect on a regular directv rca receiver.I am in Orlando Fl. I thought it might be weather conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.