AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen any solid reports of a successor to the RCA DTC-100.. If the next generation is not imminent, is there any chance of a firmware upgrade to address current issues? Obviously, any hardware updates, like Tivo functionality go beyond wish list into fantasy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Here are a few firmware things I would like to see enhanced in my DTC-100:

- Sub Channel selections for the "Profiles".

Many of the channels here near San Fran remap their digital channels to their old analog channel number. KGO shows up as 7-0 (analog), 7-1 KGO-HD (720p), and 7-2 KGO-SD (480i). I want to remove 7-0 and 7-2 from my profile.

- Remove analog channels from profile while keeping the digital at the same number

Related to the previous point. But, since the digital subchannels are somewhat dynamic, there may be problems removing subchannels. The ability to remove analog channels would solve most of my issues.

- Cache program guide data.

The OTA program guides are painfully slow. It seems to be re-reading the program data every time I press a button. It should instead keep the program data in memory & only rescan what is needed to update the screen. Without this the program guide is barely useable.

- Ability to display signal strength in channel info.

Useful for quickly diagnosing reception problems.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
First of all, I agree completely with both your posts about the desirability of enhancing the user-friendliness of the DTC100 for setup and diagnosis. However, I doubt it's gonna happen. I'm certainly no guru about when a successor will arrive, but I suspect Thomson's engineering wizards are well on the way of development/prototyping and that's where their maximum efforts will continue. Besides, the cynic in me whispers, "Why develop the current model further, when a new improved model will sell like lemonade in August?" As much as I'd love to see further engineering effort directed at this "old" warhorse, I'd be even more delighted to wait for (and buy) a new model that would genuinely "fix" the multipath anomalies common in varying degree with all brands of HD STBs. Thomson's seen what the competion has out (Remember, they were one of the first out of the chute, and the first out of the chute with an affordable model.), so they should have a clue what to aim for. Hope they don't miss the opportunity.

[This message has been edited by Ray H (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
It would also be nice if they fixed the software crashes (I get about 1 a week).

The need to fix whatever that problem last week with KGO that required turning off the program guide to see a picture.

I was trying to do a little TVDX the other night and I noticed that it is not possible to force the signal strength display to a channel. It makes it really tough to aim the antenna at a station if you haven't received it before. It is a catch-22 to require that the receiver receive a signal before you know where to point the antenna.

How about making the grey-panel setup a slider instead of on-off buttons. I wouldn't mind if the panels where a little grey, just not as grey as they want to make them.

The DTC-100 could use a "closed caption on mute" feature.

You should be able to enter channels (such as 80.3) into a

profile even though the channel doesn't exist at the time

you are programming the profile.

It would be nice if the fixed the online manual to reflect all the previously made changes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.