AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a customer service operator at Thompson Electronics that they were working on a new model to replace the DTC-100. That was a few months ago. I am wondering if anyone else knows anything about this.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Our story begins at a Thomson engineering meeting. The project director addresses the group;

"Ok guys, the new crop of STBs has hit the market and we've got some work to do. To keep up with the folks at Sony, we need to install a louder fan. In addition, we need to incorporate some sort of circuit which will cause the video to occasionally drop out. Panasonic has incorporated some interesting features which need to be examined. We'll probably need to go with a slower program guide in the DTC-200. In addition, we'll need to eliminate the signal strength meter AND require at least an 85% signal strength for reliable reception." http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Seriously, rumors of the DTC-100's replacement began almost as soon as it hit the market. Some of the past rumors were being spread by Thomson reps and salesmen, so that's nothing new. None of the HDTV gurus has posted any definite information here about a DTC-100 replacement. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, but unless the DTC-100's successor displays a picture in 3D with Sensurround Smell-o-rama, I can't imagine being in a hurry to replace it. Component outputs would be nice for RPTV owners, along with an integrated program guide.

To owners of other STBs, the above comments were made in jest. DON'T make me put on my flame suit!

Kent

------------------

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are absolutely correct.

My main concern is component output. I have a RPTV and would like to not have to convert the signal. I have read on some forum from a reputable source, that the DTC-100 deals with the signal internally as YpBpR and then converts to RGBHV for output. With a DTC-100 and my current set-up I would have to install a converter and that effectively is 2 conversions. If a new model is coming out I would assume it to have component output - making things easier, cheaper, and possibly giving a better picture. Does anyone know how long the DTC-100 has been on the market?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricM:
Does anyone know how long the DTC-100 has been on the market?
About a year and a half. It was introduced in the fall of '99.

------------------

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also have a DISH 6000, and its a VERY nice piece of gear. I haven't noticed any threads featuring DISH owners complaining about any of the bizarro problems which seem to afflict so many of the DirecTV STBs.

Kent

------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, if I were starting from scratch I would consider it, but I already have the HD DirecTV dish on the roof. I had planned ahead, but there are always unforseen problems. Also, in my situation 2 dishes would be an issue. The DISH 6000 requires 2 dishes, isn't that correct?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricM:
The DISH 6000 requires 2 dishes, isn't that correct?
Yes, if you want all the E* programming. No, if all you want is the E* HD programming. You can aim a single dish at either the 61.5 bird or 148 bird and receive the E* HD programming. That's what I did.

If you're limited to one dish and you want a full plate of programming including HD, then you'll need to stay with DirecTV.

Kent

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mr Joshua (edited 04-19-2001).]

·
Registered
739 Posts
The DISH 6000 requires 2 dishes, isn't that correct?

IMHO so does DirecTV. I feel the eliptical is a compromise that does not allow for the previous Signals I received on single dish. Adding "tilt" is the culprit as one must now add a third requirement to the mix of azimuth and elevation.

I suspect this results in more dropouts in case it rains (please remember the rain can be far away in the sat to receiver path and give problems if the signal is not strong enough) or a bird flys in front of the dish...whatever. On the old single dish, I could get high 80s but on the new eliptical it is 60 to 70. I may go back to two dishes (and two receivers) if it gets annoying. This past weekend, I spent too many hours with my son adjusting while I watched signals.

OTA is the same. I can "walk" a corner reflector folded dipole around my back yard (behind a hill to Seattle transmitters) and find several "sweet spots" (I would have to go very high to overcome the hill, so I guess I will have to move! (yeah, right). IMHO, this will not be resolved unless and until the local HDTV channels are available on Cable or DirectV or Dish. Then, what do we need broadcast stations for other than programming?

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

[This message has been edited by Babula (edited 04-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Babula:

I too, thought that the elliptical dish was a poor compromise, as I could never get "sat C" at better than about 55 signal strength. Well, much to my surprise, I moved the dish last weekend to a new location that is -completely- free of interefering trees and whamo! all sats are in the 90 range. Mind you, I didn't just blindly use the tilt and altitude settings that the DTC-100 suggests; I locked in the azimuth and altitude settings, adjusted the tilt for max signal, then went back and adjusted the altitude and azimuth settings for max signal. It's an iterative procedure and tedious, but you might try it if you have rain fade problems.

By the way, with a perfectly vertical mounting pole, I wound up with a 56 degree tilt instead of the prescribed 54. Going with the prescribed setting reduced my signal by about 10 on Sat C.

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
739 Posts
dkeller,

Thanks for input. I used the same process as you recommended. It was a pain in the butt (for my son..I was watching the levels on the phone with him while he adjusted). Seattle is tough to begin with I think due to longitude.

One thing I did notice is that I perceive the elliptical does not seem to be "pointing" in the same direction as the old SONY dish (which was vertically more elliptical than other D* dishes, like from RCA).

By the way, I personally do not believe there are "big" performance differences between all the currently available STBs. If there are, they are very subtle. Its a "system" or as the computer gurus use the term, an "enterprise" situation. Notice I do not use the term "problem".

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
"Moderator hat off"

Boy, does that feel good!

With 1 1/2 years HDTV stb experience under their belt, one would think that any new RCA HDTV stb introduced will be leagues ahead of whatever is the hot stb at that time.

Between the possibilities there and the upcoming Zenith, hope springs eternal.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
957 Posts
Babula

I have the elliptical dish here in Bellevue, After my initial install, I too had low signal strength. Last fall I double checked all of my connections (changed a couple of connectors)and then took nearly two hours to tweak the dish. It was slow and tedious. Whenever I thought I was done and would tighten everything down the signal strength would change. If I had my wife calling out signal strengths much longer I think she would have knocked me off the roof. I owe her a big thanks for putting up with my "Hobby" or is it a illness. I just checked my signal strengths and on Sat 101 they range from 82 to 91 with most in the 84 to 88 range. As we all know Sat 119 is bit tougher. that one ranges from 68 to 76 on the old DTC-100. I know we have had a so called drought this winter but I have not had rain fade since I last tweaked the dish last fall.

I too am very happy with my two DTC-100s and the only thing to make me upgrade is a firewired DirecTV tied to Digital VHS or a DirecTV HD Ultimate TV receiver.

Rick

------------------

RJW

[This message has been edited by wezar (edited 04-19-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.