Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks -

First, a big thank you to Dave for posting about the availability of open box DTC100s for $200. Got one yesterday, with manual, remote, and VGA cable, at American TV in Madison, WI. (No DTV access card, however.)

I don't have an HD capable display yet, so last night I set it up to try to receive digital OTA and was successful. I used the S-video out to an analog Proscan 27" tv.

My question is about the proper way to set up for "normal" looking viewing. I watched ABC shows that appeared to be 4:3, but the local news and then the Tonight Show appeared to be 16:9. I seem to have a choice of letterboxing, and having some small portions of the top and bottom of the viewing area cut off, or having the image compressed somewhat width-wise. (This morning on Today, Maria Schriver really looked skinny, but that may be another issue entirely.)

Any suggestions on what an appropriate setup is, or do I have to go into the menu and futz every time I change shows? TIA - Pat

·
Registered
856 Posts
Assuming you want correct geometry (not squished so people look wider than in real life) try this ...

A.) When using the DTC-100 with a 4:3 TV set WITH vertical compression / anamorphic squeeze:

Set the DTC-100 to "16:9" and "standard" (not "fill" or "stretch). When the programming shown is 16:9 you will have letterbox (bars only on top and bottom). When the programming shown is 4:3 you will have black bars on all four sides.

B.) When using the DTC-100 with a 4:3 TV set WITHOUT vertical compression / anamorphic squeeze:

Set the DTC-100 to "4:3" and "standard." When the programming shown is 16:9 you will have letterbox (bars only on top and bottom). When the programming shown is 4:3 you will have black bars on all four sides.

C.) When using the DTC-100 with a 16:9 TV set:

Set the DTC-100 to "16:9" and "standard." When the programming shown is 16:9 you will have picture filling the screen. When the programming shown is 4:3 you will have black bars on the left and right sides of the screen.

The above also assumes that you use the RGB or component video connections (not composite or S-video). You can also turn the "HD monitor" off and use another connection, in which case you can have 4:3 material fill a 4:3 screen.

If your TV is different than mine, you may have additional options.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.