AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question that has been dealt with before, but here goes.

If you are using an LCD, DLP, or DILA based system, such a as a projector, there is no harm whatsover. These are not subject to burn-in.

If you are using a CRT or plasma based system, they are subject to burn it, at varying rates. Be careful. It may depend on the amount of usage you give it, but you can have a serious problem.

Also: the DTC-100 has a bug that causes it to lose this setting when it loses power (not just turning it off BTW which really doesn't turn it off).

·
Registered
27 Posts
The DTC100 receiver shows gray bars to fill above & below a 16:9 format. It took me a while to figure out how to turn them black. RCA warns (twice) that doing this WILL harm the monitor screen. Q: how bad will it hurt, and how long will it take to harm the screen? Will a few hours a week cause harm, or will it take a few years to "burn" the screen image?

[This message has been edited by Casemiro (edited 05-13-2001).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the response. The DTC100 intentionally resets to the gray bars when unplugged (or loses power), it is not a bug.The displayed instructions mention that.

I guess I'm still bewildered about how much usage with black bars will cause damage. I understand that it varies with use. But can anyone quantify that? Are we talking a few hours of use, a few weeks, months, years? And what is the nature of the damage? will there be ghost "bars" or a line where the 16:9 format is shown? That would be acceptable if in the future all I watch is HD 16:9 format. By the way, when a standard 4:3 picture is shown in letterbox setting, will the vertical black bars inserted by the broadcaster cause similar damage? Although there is aan option to fill the screen, there is no encouragement to do so by the manufacturer, and no caution in the RCA manual. Also there apparently is no way to make them gray anyway. Is it only harmfrul in the horizontal? Or is thre an inconsistency in the caution?

Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Casemiro,

what type of display are you using standar 4:3 OR 16:9

On my projector I watch about 50/50 4:3 to 16:9 material on my 4:3 screen. For non HD content I use the forward button to re-map the aspect ratio to keep even burn on on my tubes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetmanCA:
Casemiro,

what type of display are you using standar 4:3 OR 16:9

On my projector I watch about 50/50 4:3 to 16:9 material on my 4:3 screen. For non HD content I use the forward button to re-map the aspect ratio to keep even burn on on my tubes
I have an RCA 36" 4:3 Digital Monitor MM36100, and a DTC100. By the way the gray bars overlay an extra 3/4 inch on the top and bottom.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I asked this question before. The conscensus answer was short term use should not be aproblem. It seemed people felt that any problem would be further reduced by keeping the contrastr low. If this is done than any problems would be further minimized. I don't know if absolute numbers can be given, but from a personal point of view, I switch to the black bars for about 10 to 15 hrs per week

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

When I asked the same question to an engineer friend he laughed and told me it was brand and model specific and also depended upon how hard the tube was being driven, your note about contrast. Art

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been running my MM36100 for ~1 year with black bars and relatively high contrast with no noticeable effect. I'd guess the bars are there ~25% to 30% of the time.

On a related note, I noticed that we don't get the same warning about the bars on DVDs, which are always black, as far as I've seen. My experience with FIDS monitors at airports (I work for the most minor of the major airlines, and FIDS are the flight information displays on which you, the passengers, look up your gate number/arrival status/departure status) tells me that this shouldn't be a problem, because we run them continuously, on high contrast settings, with no appreciable burn-in for 2+ years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Good point about the DVD's. I've decided not to worry about it and just enjoy the show. (P.S. Get this... my wife LIKES the gray bars. She says they're soothing. Go figure.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.