AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a DTC100 receiver to my collection as a backup for my Mits SR-HD5. I connected it to my WS65087 for comparison sake, and I have a few observations. (1) The fan on the DTC100 can become a bit annoying (if you are thinking about it). (2) The Mits menu is way better than the RCA menu, but the RCA menu responds to remote commands much quicker. (3) The Mits APG includes both OTA, cable and sat stations making it easier to go from one source to another. On the RCA you must press input to go from 1 source to another. The OTA stations do not show any programming on the RCA while they do on the Mits. (4) OTA digital stations on the Mits map to their analog channel (ex: 4-1) while on the RCA they map to their actual UHF channel. (5)It's easier to check OTA signal strength on the Mits than on the RCA. (6) It's easier to change the screen aspect ratio of non-HD stations on the RCA. (7) Picture quality is about the same on each. (8)The Mits seems to have a more powerful OTA digital tuner as well as satellite tuner. That's about all I can think of now. Oh yes, the Mits costs about $300 more. I hope this helps any prospective HD-tuner purchasers.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
you nailed it. i own the mits and i will say that it has the slowest guide on the market. hopefully they will fix this with a software update. mits updating this box reminds me of the old "the check's in the mail" bit. yeah right....

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
The slow guide for the Mits.; is that for the Toshiba or Hughes also? Yes, I know that they are all the same box, but I am wondering if they addressed the slow guide. Anyone with a Toshiba or Hughes care to comment?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes the DST-3000 has a very slow giude also. I have not gone through and actually set my preferences yet, which should save some time on guide access, as I am still fooling around with finding a good OTA to use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just traded my Panasonic TU-HDS20 for a Mitsubishi SR-HD5 and I am VERY happy with it. The picture quality of the Panasonic was a bit better, but it was completely unusable. The Mitsubishi guide looks fast compared with the Panasonic (though I'd be happier still if the Mitsubishi was twice as fast). The Mitsubishi also has none of the annoying IR remote problems of the Panasonic (missed clicks, double-clicks, slow echoing of clicks, etc.).

I also find the SR-HD5's Advanced Program Guide to be very slick and, at least for me (OTA and DirectTV only) it works perfectly (I know, I know, someday it might "disappear" with the mysterious guide bug.)

I also had a Sony HD-100 earlier in the year, and the OTA drop-outs and lack of an APG drove me crazy and I got a refund.

In addition, I still have a Pioneer SHD-505 which has superb picture quality (esp. 720p), but it is only supports ATSC OTA.

My experience: the Mitsubishi/Hughes/Toshiba are the best of the current lot of DirectTV HDTV boxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.