AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very surprised to see the DTC100 last night at my local malls Radio Shack. The price tag was missing, and I didn't want to wait in line to ask about the price or availabilty, but just being there is a very good sign.

Just another step in the right direction for HDTV!

Steve

·
Banned
410 Posts
FYI, RS has been carrying the DTC-100 for well over a year now. RS began carrying it when they signed a deal to market all of RCA's television and DBS products.

Rick

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Yea, they carry it allright, but that's about all.

Go ask about the box sometime, and see what ridiculous answers you get!~

In two of the local stores I went to, It wasn't even programmed to receive the OTA's..one employee told me the manager had password protected the unit to stay on DirecTV.

I asked, "then how do you sell it?" the clerk shrugged and walked off.....

------------------

Regards,

Bob Davis, DOE

WCCB-Fox18/WCCB-DT27

·
Banned
410 Posts
Sounds pretty typical for an RS. In general RS is good for walking in and buying what you want if they have it. To ask for technical help at an RS is a shot in the dark at best. Sometimes you get someone who is knowlegable, but usually you get what you described.

Rick

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for posting old information. Ive been in many Shacks in Sacramento, and this was the first time I had seen the DTC on the shelf. As far as the employees knowledge, it is sketchy as best. Often they will just read the package (like we coudnt do that ourselves) or make up information. They sell a line of products called "Plug N' Power". My remote (15-1994) has the ability to control such products, but I can not find the product that receives infrared beams which in turn, turns a light on or off. Ive gone to four store and the web site, and no where can I find out what I need to buy. Ive had some very creative suggestions from the employees though!

Steve

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ah, for the good ol' days when the Radio Shack guy actually knew resistor color band codes....

Their latest motto:

"You've got questions?

...We've got more questions."

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveHoltam:
I can not find the product that receives infrared beams which in turn, turns a light on or off.

steve

see: www.smarthome.com..It's a standard x10 item..!

------------------

Regards,

Bob Davis, DOE

WCCB-Fox18/WCCB-DT27

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerald C:
Ah, for the good ol' days when the Radio Shack guy actually knew resistor color band codes....

Their latest motto:

"You've got questions?

...We've got more questions."

--Gerald C

Yep, that's a good one.

Here's another that I've heard on the ham bands, where frustration with the general lack of any understanding of the products they sell brings RatShack employees under fire often:

"You've got questiions - We've got blank stares"

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bad

Boys

Rape

Our

Young

Girls

But

Violet

Gives

Willingly

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerald C:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link Bob. I went and ordered the stuff I need (about $50.00) so I dont have to get off my butt to turn off the lights. How pathetic... but ohhh, the wonders of technology!

Steve

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
>>Ah, for the good ol' days when the Radio Shack guy actually knew resistor color band codes....

That must have been when I worked there, whoops, that was Lafayette Electronics. Today you ask about the bands on the resistors and the clerk will shoot his bar code scanner at the thing and look for it on his CRT!

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yupe, they got more than questions they are just plain clueless. I stopped into a local rat shack to look at the DTC 100 before I ordered it over the net for $100 less. After playing with it for a while one of the sales droids came over. I told him why I was there and that I was surprised that the unit could pull in OTA HD signals with no ant attached. Bear in mind this was 75 miles from the transmitter for WESH-DT ch 11 Orlando. So the droid started arguing with me that the signal was coming off the Directv dish. I tried but he wouldn't listen and insisted that the WESH-DT ch 11 OTA signal was showing up because it was coming off the satellite. Whatever! Just shows how clueless they are about one of their most expensicve products.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.