AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although the DTCP license agreement is still nowhere to be found on the dtcp.com website (which is scary in itself to me!), has anyone taken a look at their colorful presentation:
http://www.dtcp.com/data/dtcp_tut.pdf

I especially enjoyed the pretty pictures and text pertaining to revocation of a customer's device (STB, VCR, DVD player, HDTV). Basically, by playing back a DVD or watching a broadcast, they (whoever "they" are is unclear) can render your equipment useless ("fully revoked in the home environment" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ). Does this scare the crap out of anyone else? Imagine if some flunky "fat-fingers" the wrong number and zaps your TV! Imagine what a malicious hacker could do, transmitting random "kill" keys! Imagine the hassle and expense of getting it working again! Do you 5C/HDCP optimists out there still want one these "monster" devices in your home!

Come to think of it, it's stuff like this that makes me sigh in relief. There's no way Joe Six-Pack is going to buy one of these things once this type of information is well known. Drop dead you Hollywood a*holes! Oops. Sorry, AVS. I know, no name calling. I just couldn't resist http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by belmore (edited 07-30-2001).]

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks for this unbelievable link.

I just looked at these power point slides.I couldn't believe my eyes. I especially like the quote, "Keep honest people honest".

The implication is that left to our own devices, we lack the will to resist becoming hackers and pirates.

To heck with these guys, I resent the insinuation that I am anything less that honorable when in possesion of High Definition content. These folks are builing this system on foundation of mistrust. It is sinister and this copy protection initiative needs to be fought tooth and nail.

At least Macrovision doesn't have the ability to render my projector inoperable.

Richard

·
Registered
891 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate for a minute...

They're building it on a foundation of mistrust because it's been displayed to them (via Napster) that we aren't trustworthy. A good section of the public will pirate whatever they want when it becomes sufficiently convenient.

You might not participate, but it's been amply demonstrated that lots of people do, so it's hard for me to accept any righteous indignation on behalf of the public on this issue.

That said, I do think they're being overly concerned and often draconic about the measures they're taking. Napster was a wake-up call, but they don't seem to be looking at the reasons why Napster was a "success" and what that hasn't entered into other digitally-encoded realms.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Carollo:

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute...
But that doesn't give them the right to trample on my right to fair use. (well, it shouldn't anyway. See what money can buy?) Nor is it very good business to call your customers thieves and then invite them to buy something.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Carollo:

They're building it on a foundation of mistrust because it's been displayed to them (via Napster) that we aren't trustworthy. A good section of the public will pirate whatever they want when it becomes sufficiently convenient.
I agree with you, but pirating HD won't be "Sufficiently convenient" for at least another 5 to 10 years via something like the internet. The average joe can download a song from anywhere from 2-20 minutes. Downloading an HD movie even on my T3 will take me several hours, and thats if the site I'm getting it from can keep up. Plus can u imagine someone having MULTIPLE movies to download anytime soon?

If its anti-piracy they are REALLY worried about then they could implement a system similar to ADTV and make it so I can only play what I record on the machine which I recorded it from. They would get a lot of flack for it, but at least they aren't obsoleteing any of my current stuff to do it.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
But that doesn't give them the right to trample on my right to fair use.
I totally agree. Though the Never Copy is the only condition that really seems to overstep those bounds (Copy Once is a little questionable).

Quote:
I agree with you, but pirating HD won't be "Sufficiently convenient" for at least another 5 to 10 years via something like the internet.
Couldn't agree more, and this is exactly what I was referring to when I said "they don't seem to be looking at the reasons why Napster was a 'success' and why that hasn't entered into other digitally-encoded realms.".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.