Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am quite new to this HDTV-Stuff, I will get my JVC during this week and will also get my first dTheater tape and I tried to read all this stuff going on and now think to know:

- I will get 1080i trough the component outputs (at least on the actual dtheater tapes)

- I will get a 5C-Copy-Protected/Encrypted Firewire-Output

- Some guys here managed to decode the firewire-output with their htpcs with no other additional hardware than a cheap firewire input-board. I don't know if they managed to do film-mode deinterlacing ...

What I really would like to know is: Is the last thing (playing the tapes through the pc) also possible with dTheater? And, if not: Is there any hardware which makes this possible?

The reason why I ask is that I am not really enjoying the idea of feeding any interlaced signal to my DILA (and don't want to buy a Faroudja or Dune or Teranex).

I also know that the JVC can output 720p and 1080i and 480p and 480i.

I believe that the output totally depends on the tape and that the JVC cannot convert - let's say 1080i to 720p on the analog outputs but can donwconvert any source to 480i. Am I right?

Would be quite nice if anyone could answer my hdtv-beginners questions.

Thanks for listening

Jan

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
A D-ILA does a very good job with 1080i, and anyway does not support 1080p. The 1080i interlace artifacts are very limited, nothing comparable to 480i artifacts.

The only problem is that the component input is bandwidth limited, so to get the best results, you have to use an external YUV -> RGBHV converter and feed the D-ILA RGB input.

The 30000 can convert 720p to 1080i, but the result is ugly. 1080i and 720p can be downconverted to 480i, which is of course of no interest. 1080i cannot be converted to 720p, and anyway, I would not recommend it. Let the internal scaler do its job, it's very good at it with 1080i.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
A D-ILA does a very good job with 1080i, and anyway does not support 1080p. The 1080i interlace artifacts are very limited, nothing comparable to 480i artifacts.
I know about the non 1080p possibilities, I though of deinterlacing 1080i and downconverting to native panel resolution.

Do you know what a good YUV->RGB - converter with enough bandwidth for 1080i costs (and where I can get it)?

Bye

Jan

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I am using a 6 year old Japanese Imagenics model, and I have not tried recent ones.

You might try Extron products.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

the extron seems to be quit expensive (about 900$).

That's pretty much for a technically very simple conversion.

Any cheaper Product available here?

Bye

Jan

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Try this , but I seem to remember somebody telling that this unit does not work well with D-ILAs. You'll have to check, perhaps by searching the forum with the "keydigital" word.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, that sounds much better.

I also found a box in germany which can do this for only 200Euro. I will give it a try!

Bye

Jan

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
>>> - Some guys here managed to decode the firewire-output

>>> with their htpcs with no other additional hardware

>>> than a cheap firewire input-board.

>>> What I really would like to know is: Is the last

>>> thing (playing the tapes through the pc) also

>>> possible with dTheater? And, if not: Is there any

>>> hardware which makes this possible?

I can view non-encrypted D-VHS tapes on my HTPC

(must be WinXP currently) via a cheapo IEEE1394

card. It is my understanding that D-Theater tapes

will output 5C encrypted IEEE1394 signals, otherwise

it would open it up to be recorded to PC hard disk

and copied (which basically defeats the whole point).

So - I think it may never be possible to do anything

with the D-Theater tapes other than play them on

D-Theater enabled hardware (which is only the JVC VCR right

now).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The encryption of these tapes will be hacked and decoded in time, never say never. The odd thing about encryption is that once the new encryption technology is created, so must the decryption protocols, which opens the door to hacking.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
I can view non-encrypted D-VHS tapes on my HTPC
Sounds cool. Any easy way to manage this? Any "Howto"? Any special suggestions for a firewire card?

Minimum processor required (an Athlon XP1700 currently runs my HTPC which I only use for SDI-Silk and dScaler)

It is not that easy to read through all the threads containing bits of information about all my questions so any help would be nice. On the other hand I understand if you are all tired writing everything again and again and again.... :D

Thanks so far

Jan

PS: For sure 5C will be hacked sometimes but I think this is not only for good because the content-provider (MPAA...) gets more and more restrictive if former attempts to protect their copyright fail again and again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something more:

I think the copyright owners have every right to protect their belongings. But I also think - since I pay a hell of a lot for DVDs (and did pay for VHS and Laserdisk) and own some movies on every single media on which it was sold once - I am no criminal if I make copies for myself and if I get a copy from someone for watching a movie in the best possible qualitym which I already own more than once.

And the idea for hacking 5c would appeal to me because I could then use my HTPC as a Scaler (in this case also as mpeg-decoder) rather than buying a Faroudja or a Dune (or any other product capable of deinterlacing 1080i and scaling it to 1365x1024)

Jan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.