AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:
I noticed that the price on both of these is $45.
Yes, they are $44.98 on the dvhsmovieguide.com website. $45 retail is too high. $35 retail is acceptable. I was thinking of purchasing a JVC 30k but with tape prices that high it will make me wait longer.

Mike

·
Registered
716 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the listed price; the street prices (e.g. from Buy.com, etc) could easily be several bucks lower.

What concerns me more is that the majority of these movies are not what appeals to me, they don't seem to be releasing their "crown jewels".

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
At the WSR site, you choose between standard shipping ($5) or express shipping ($24).

So you can pay $44.98 plus $24.00 = $68.98 for a single tape. Hurry!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dneily
At the WSR site, you choose between standard shipping ($5) or express shipping ($24).

So you can pay $44.98 plus $24.00 = $68.98 for a single tape. Hurry!
That's rediculous. And why are magazines getting into selling video software? I guess they can just like anyone else but I will get mine from buy.com or anyplace that has the cheapest price.

The Widescreen D-Theater tape is still the same as that purchased at buy.com

bb

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Yeah, while I appreciate the info and 'push' that WSR is giving d-theater (though I haven't bought a deck yet) I think it's silly that they're selling the software. They could never possibly have the scale to compete with the likes of buy.com. I could see if the tapes weren't available anywhere, but b/t buy.com, bestbuy, etc. they are not hard to find...

TM

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much about the listed price; the street prices (e.g. from Buy.com, etc) could easily be several bucks lower.
I was already taking that into consideration since buy.com has T2 for around $27. I guess U-571 and Peacemaker will be around $37. Looks I will be waiting for a while until the D-VHS decks come down in price and the studios start putting out the titles they should be putting out and at the right price. Why does Dreamworks start with titles like Peacemaker, Galaxy Quest, and The Haunting when they have Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan and Shrek? What's Dreamworks next titles gonna be...Paulie and Small Soldiers?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I dunno, Galaxy Quest quite good when it was on HBO-HD. It would be as good a one to start with as anything. SPR, for instance, wouldn't necessarily be a real showoff piece for HD, with its purposefully washed out sepia look.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
DVD is such a poor media, that with movies like SPR or Payback where the colors and/or definition have been drastically reduced for artistic reasons, well nothing remains.

Take Payback for instance: the DVD is drab and colorless. The HD version with his razor sharp image completely rehabilitates the director intentions, making the colorless look extremely compelling and appropriate to the movie.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
While there will not be the demand, I would sure like some of the old Technicolor classics properly restored. As a "show off piece" how about "Around the World in 80 Days" with its outdoor scenes, great soundtrack, and I thick it was on 70mm film stock. These make more sense as tapes to view more than once. I'm afraid U-571 will be viewed once and then sit on a shelf.

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mickey mo,

I feel the same way. I can't remember for sure but my recollection is that DVD releases were similar to this initially. They were not the released at the same time as the VHS versions and none of the classics. An example is Ben Hur which didn't show up until less than a year ago. I will get one of these decks but the titles are going to be demo material more than anything initially it seems.

Art

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Any word on the Indiana Jones movies which were recently shown on HDTV? And I too agree on the pricing of these movies. They just gotta be priced under $30.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just an update. Buy.com has the peacemaker and U-571 listed for 39.49. Oh well, wish it would be a little cheaper, but they are HDTV movies after all!! Also, dvhsmovieguide.com now lists x-men and bikini destinations in their pre-order section. No price or date for x-men, but bikini destinations is available on 6-6 for 30 bucks..

I have not heard anything about BD, is it good?? Sounds like it from the title anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info, i just ordered Peacemaker. The reviews at the trade shows seem to indicate some astounding imagery.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:
I have not heard anything about BD, is it good?? Sounds like it from the title anyway.
Yes, it looks very good on HDNet but it is only about 30 minutes long I think.

Mike

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The WSR D-Vhs review of U571 was pretty good. I have ordered them all anyhow from buy.com just because I can not stand these low rez Dvds any more.

Is anyone else selling them on line besides Buy.com ?

DavidW

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
In the discussion forum at WSR's D-VHS site, the moderator announced yesterday that they would post a special announcement tomorrow about upcoming D-Theater titles. Hopefully there will be lots of them, with firm prices and street dates.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.