Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been "lurking" for some time now and now find that I have a question for which I have not found an answer:

I have finally decided to take the plunge and move from cable to DirecTv. I need two tuners for two TVs in my house. I really like the idea of the DirecTivo and would like to get one. The deals I'm considering are as follows:

1. Blockbuster two room deal ($68 after rebates + 52 "free" movies) and buy a DTivo2 in the future (cost unknown).

2. Internet dealer for a DTivo (either Hughes or Philips) plus a Hughes Director Pack tuner for around $120.

Both deals include installation.

Here are my questions:

1. Should I wait for the DTivo2. I know it will cost more, but is the increased functionality and storage space worth it?

2. Which Dtivo is preferable Hughes or Philips, or is it mainly cosmetic and preference? The Sony is nice, but I just don't see the reason for the price being $150 more on average, and it's not an option for the internet dealer.

3. The DTivo from the internet dealer is a refurbished model, is this a problem? I have gotten some great deals on other electronic refurbs in the past, but is there anything specific I should be aware of with the Dtivos?

4. If I buy the Blockbuster deal, is it worth considering a standalone Tivo2, or in your opinion does the DirecTivo make something good into something great?

5. Is there anything else that I forgot to consider.

Thank you in advance for all of your help,

Brian

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well, if you are interested in more storage space with the current TiVO, you can easily upgrade the drive. But the new features, I dunno....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do the receivers with DirecTivo have an input built in? In other words, the DirecTivo can record two shows at once, but can I input antenna or cable for locals and record those channels? Can I record two things on those channels at the same time?

If not, as it stands I would not be able to use the "record 2 things at once" feature to tape Friends and Survivor because I can't get locals on the satellite. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

Scott

AirlineMusuem.com

·
Registered
823 Posts
DirecTiVos can only receive and record DirecTV; they have no tuners for cable/OTA. If you can't get locals via DirecTV, you won't be able to record network shows.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
While the feature of the DTiVo2 look exciting, I would go for a regular DTiVo since yoou can find them for well under $100.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Jay Shem
While the feature of the DTiVo2 look exciting, I would go for a regular DTiVo since yoou can find them for well under $100.
I got an email from CNET the other day that stated the new TiVos (or at least the ones marketed through BB) will have 30 second Best Buy ads in exchange for extra features. Sounded similar to Interactive TV on D*.

If you want to avoid the ads, at the least I would think it would be some time before they show up on older boxes, buy now. But if the new features are for you, then the opposite is true.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
HEY, where can I find those DTIVOS for well under $100.00, I'll be happy to find one for $100.00.

Unless, your talking new subscriber deals?

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Jay Shem

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Best Buy and Circiut City have the DTiVos for $99 and Ive seen them low as $79 after rebate. These are not new sub deals. Also check out the websites that my fellow WNYer, Snopple, posted above.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by restart88

I got an email from CNET the other day that stated the new TiVos (or at least the ones marketed through BB) will have 30 second Best Buy ads in exchange for extra features. Sounded similar to Interactive TV on D*.

If you want to avoid the ads, at the least I would think it would be some time before they show up on older boxes, buy now. But if the new features are for you, then the opposite is true.
All DTivos are showing the music of Sheryl Crow from bestbuy now. They can put this on all DTivos or SA Tivos series1&2 .

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I got another CNET newsletter that stated that in England TiVOS are now being FORCED to record certain programs and they can't be erased -- on purpose!

It said some were watching live TV and the unit just started recording the forced broadcast. Apparently, you were only exempted if you had another program already being recorded at the time.

Scarry thought! I hope that bad revenue policy never comes here. I'm having 2nd thoughts about buying now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It was record on reserve space that tivo save for them. I agree it suck watching something and it change on you. I have tivo since 1999. It really does change the way you watch tv.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by restart88
I got another CNET newsletter that stated that in England TiVOS are now being FORCED to record certain programs and they can't be erased -- on purpose!

It said some were watching live TV and the unit just started recording the forced broadcast. Apparently, you were only exempted if you had another program already being recorded at the time.

Scarry thought! I hope that bad revenue policy never comes here. I'm having 2nd thoughts about buying now.
Check to learn more about DTivo here. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...p?s=&forumid=7

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.