Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a long time DirecTivo user, and lover, but now find myself

without it (it died, money refunded) and need a new one.

As you probably all know these units are pretty hard to find,

but CC has em for $99 after rebate, pretty attractive. This

thing about MS not supporting it, and RadioShack says the

DWD490RE has been discontinued - CC is not aware of that,

worries me.

I read a recent post about someone saying if there are no

more improvements, just bug fixes, that that would be fine

with them. I could live with that as well, I couldve lived with

that with my DTivo too, I loved it, the hardware just sucked.

But what about the program guide info, the stuff that makes

these type of units more than just a digital vcr, does that

come from MS or Directv into the UTV?

I saw the talk of switching over from DP to UTV, I'd like to

hear more from the DTivo to UTV people.

One last question, this Interactive TV, anyone use it or is it

just one of those promised features that rarely is available?

And, when/if you do use it, is it part of the 3 free hours a

month, or is that WebTV only?

I appreciate any feedback, going from DTivo to nothing really bites.

Chris

Former Sony SAT-T60 owner

2 RCA DirecTV units

Need time-shifting

·
Registered
88 Posts
Chris,

I would go for the UTV. With the deals and rebates currently available on-line from mini-dishes.com and orbitsat you really can't go wrong.

I've been a UTV user for many months now and I really love it. TV was meant to be time-shifted. There is no option for me now. The issue about the RCA model is that the new one (70 hour) will probably start shipping in larger quantities so the 35 hour model will probably go away. I upgraded one of my systems with a 120Gig drive so I now have 105 hours.

I hear alot of TiVo users have this huge love affair with their devices. The same is true for the UTVers. It is different, don't get me wrong, but the end result is roughly the same: better TV watching.

Read through the section and you'll find out what you need. Then DO IT!!

foghorn

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you go to RCA's website ( http://www.rca.com/product/viewprodu...,,CI7,00.html? ), you'll notice that the UTV is still a the top of their product list. I don't usually trust anything a RS clerk says; they typically think they know more than they actually know (no offence to any RS employees out there!)

I'm pretty sure the guide is supplied by DTV, not MS.

Interactive TV is, from my understanding, primarily used by advertisers; however, it's not part of the 3 hours of internet access.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I switched from Dish to UTV about a year ago, because I believed in the power and resources of Microsoft to produce a better PRV and would not abandon it.

Good news is that the UTV is a better PVR than the Dishplayer and, from what has been posted, an equal to the DirecTivo.

Bad news is that Microsoft has abandoned UTV. They continue to support it but no one knows if or when there will any new features or products from UTV.

My advice would to get another Tivo. They are coming out with a new Tivo 2 series, if not already out. You probably just got a bad Tivo machine. Try another one and it should work ok. There have been bad UTV's too.

Also, Tivo's can be upgraded for larger hard disk, and many other features, by yourself or through another company. With UTV you can only upgrade the hard disk, and you have to do it on your own.

I do not own a Tivo yet, but it will likely be my next PVR. There is no future with UTV.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevepvr
My advice would to get another Tivo. They are coming out with a new Tivo 2 series, if not already out.
I have seen this logic before and have never understood it. How does Tivo coming out with a new product (DirecTivo 2) benefit someone who buys a current model DirecTiVo today?

Jay

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies so far, some thoughts...

This 70hr RCA unit (fact or fiction?), is it just a DWD490RE

with more capacity, or is it an all new unit, maybe more

RAM, capabilities, etc?

The Tivo Series2 StandAlone is out, but no definite word

on the DTV combo boxes, when or even if they will ever exist.

BB has the RCA UTV unit for $99 (no rebate, before or after)

which means if CC really does their 10% refund I could get

this unit for $90 (RS is $199 now, and out of stock).

I've read some online reviews, lots of complaints about the

units speed. My DTivo wasnt exactly a speed demon either,

but if this is even worse, I'll pass.

And after the latest software upgrades, is this following thing

still a problem?.... I always record sporting events, I DONT want

to see the live action in a small window as I retrieve my recording.

Still a problem?

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
One think that's not usually discussed when compairing is price. When I was looking into UTV vs. Tivo, the deciding factor was price -- UTV for $99 or Tivo for $300-400 -- pretty much a no brainer; if there's a DTivo deal for $99, please let me know -- I might switch over!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Jerndl,

"Originally posted by stevepvr

My advice would to get another Tivo. They are coming out with a new Tivo 2 series, if not already out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen this logic before and have never understood it. How does Tivo coming out with a new product (DirecTivo 2) benefit someone who buys a current model DirecTiVo today?"

========================

What I meant to say was: "get another Tivo, but wait until the Tivo 2 comes out before buying one."

And I think the Tivo 2 series are already out. From what I read the processor speed has been increased from 50mz to 200mz, memory has been increased, etc. The main thing with Tivo is that they are actively developing new and improved hardware, and this gives hope that there will be more improvements in the future.

Even if you buy the older Tivo product today, you can always buy the newer model in the future and use the older product in the bedroom.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think the 70 hour version is real but probably just an 80 gig drive instead of the 40 gig that was in the 35 hour model. I don't think it will have any additional features. You can view the models side by side on the RCA site to get the details.

The DTV2 boxes will probably show up before the end of the year so what to do until then?

Let's do the math:

You buy a Sony unit online for say $270 and get $200 back in a rebate.

Net cost: $70.00

6 months usage with DTV and UTV service: $60.00

Total spent: $130.00

In 6 months you can sell the UTV on eBay for a couple of hundred dollars and buy something else if you don't like it. This way you can have soemthing now, see if you like it and then get rid of it if the next thing that comes along is more to your liking. Search the eBay auctions currently going on for Sony and W60 and you'll find a couple of units selling for almost $300.

foghorn

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by foghorn
You buy a Sony unit online for say $270 and get $200 back in a rebate.

Net cost: $70.00

6 months usage with DTV and UTV service: $60.00

Total spent: $130.00

In 6 months you can sell the UTV on eBay for a couple of hundred dollars and buy something else if you don't like it. This way you can have soemthing now, see if you like it and then get rid of it if the next thing that comes along is more to your liking. Search the eBay auctions currently going on for Sony and W60 and you'll find a couple of units selling for almost $300.

foghorn
This is along the lines of my thinking too, cuz I've surfed ebay

and am seeing what the DTivos are going for anyway. But

I'll probably go with the RCA only because of the 5 year

repair/replacement thing with CC. Even if UTV goes away

permanently, no support, nothing, I will get something back

from CC, some kind of PVR, heck, maybe a new Series2

DirecTivo! I'd probably get something on ebay in a year

for this RCA unit, not 100%, but thats ok. No lifetime sub

with UTV, so I dont have to worry about that whole thing.

I'm waiting for CC's phone call to see if they'll honor their

own 10% off guarantee, I sensed they were unsure of it,

seems pretty clear on their website.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.