AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here

DTS 2Channel?

1191 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  eriksaether
I'm just wondering does DTS 2channel exists?....If tried to search on the web and even DTS official website itself...found none....anyone here can confirm that it doens't exist...thks....
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
AFAIK there were a couple of 2 channel DTS releases on Laserdisc, The Mask was one of them. It is a pointless format since PCM Stereo offers better sounquality and better compatiblity.
hey thks Krobar for the reply...i've tried to search for the Mask LD that u mentioned...but it states that the audio is Dolby AC3 2ch and not DTS 2ch...
All DTS is 5.1, but may not use all of the channels - IE a 2.0 uses the L and R of the 5.1 channels only. I have a movie trailer on an LD in mono where the C only is used. IMOH it is not the most efficient way to store a mono signal...

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX
All DTS is 5.1, but may not use all of the channels - IE a 2.0 uses the L and R of the 5.1 channels only. I have a movie trailer on an LD in mono where the C only is used. IMOH it is not the most efficient way to store a mono signal...

Mark
DTS can be 4.0/4.1/5.0/5.1.....I believe I have a couple DVD's in DTS 5.0 (no discrete LFE channel)

And dont forget DTS:Neo6 and DTS-ES which uses a discrete 6th channel.

So no, all DTS is not 5.1.
See less See more
Quote:
All DTS is 5.1, but may not use all of the channels - IE a 2.0 uses the L and R of the 5.1 channels only.
This can be even more annoying if you normally use surround processing to expand stereo material to 5 or 7 speakers. The receiver sees a 5.1-channel stream (even though there is content in only 2 of those channels), locking you out of many 2-channel processing modes.

Sanjay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70
DTS can be 4.0/4.1/5.0/5.1.....I believe I have a couple DVD's in DTS 5.0 (no discrete LFE channel)

And dont forget DTS:Neo6 and DTS-ES which uses a discrete 6th channel.

So no, all DTS is not 5.1.
The difference I have noticed between DTS and DOLBY is that all the channel indicators light up as if the signal is 5.1 for DTS, even for mono program, where DD actually has at least three different channel configurations - 5.1 (all channels light up), dolby surround (LR and S light up) and 2.0 (LR only light up)...

Both systems have extended modes with DD EX (EX lights up for flagged discs) and DTS have both ES 6.1 Matrix and ES 6.1 Discrete...

Mark
See less See more
Quote:
The difference I have noticed between DTS and DOLBY is that all the channel indicators light up as if the signal is 5.1 for DTS, even for mono program, where DD actually has at least three different channel configurations - 5.1 (all channels light up), dolby surround (LR and S light up) and 2.0 (LR only light up)...
That depends on the encoders. I have seen DTS stuff where it indicated less than 5.1 channels, like 5.0 or 4.0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude
That depends on the encoders. I have seen DTS stuff where it indicated less than 5.1 channels, like 5.0 or 4.0.
I've seen 5.0 but not 4.0 on the display. It seems that the .1 LFE track is not always used.

I have several mixes that do not use the centre channel, yet all display as if full 5.1...

Mark
Hi guys.

As a laserdisc enthusiast I know about the soundtracks for THE MASK.

It has "DTS Stereo", this is a matrixed surround soundtrack very similar to Dolby Pro Logic. It can be encoded with a receiver with a standard "Dolby Pro Logic" program.

"DTS Stereo" came before the digital DTS and is NOT discret surround.

It is a "rare bird", and as far as I know it has only been out on the Laserdisc media.

Then again, the digital DTS (as we know today) was also first released on Laserdisc :)

Erik
See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.