AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use when playing DVD's. I always select DTS if it's available on the DVD. I'm using a pioneer 49TX and DTS sounds more movie like. Any input folks

Thanks

Sydney

· Registered
474 Posts
I prefer DTS.

· Registered
2,188 Posts
They're both excellent. I use DTS as it has a higher bitstream rate, but it is also a little brighter.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
I also use DTS whenever it's available. However, I don't loose any sleep over the lack of a DTS track. I have done careful testing, matching levels, and found that DTS is a little better than DD at the same volume levels. But the difference is not enough to worry about.

Mike

· Registered
654 Posts
I haven't found that one or the other is clearly better.

I always find it interesting when magazine reviews state that DTS is clearly or obviously better. Yes, it has a higher bit rate. But if there are any (literally meaning ANY) changes between a soundtrack DD mix and the corresponding DTS mix, or if playback levels aren't exactly matched, then all comparisons have to go out the window. I have never read a scientific conducted, definitive comparison made between identical DD and DTS mixes. Most of us assume that the DVDs that we listen to have the same mixes. IMO, probably a mistake. Is it possible that we are making choices using apples to oranges???

So, which do I prefer? Well, either one. The one that I like best on that particular DVD. DD on some and DTS on others...

I'm just glad we have the choice!

· Registered
122 Posts
Either/or.

Regards.

· Registered
448 Posts
Either one for me theysound identical to me.. Could this be a big marketinc scam on the creators of DTS?

· Registered
3,422 Posts
DTS is clearly better,

IMHO:)

ts

· Registered
733 Posts
If it's available, I pick DTS every time...

· Registered
845 Posts
DTS if available. The most noticeable DVDs that I have are the Naxos Musical Journeys. The DD track bass seems somewhat disconnected from the rest of the music whereas the DTS sounds smoother.

· Registered
5,812 Posts
DTS usually hits harder and lower. But there are many DD soundtracks out there that I love (Example: Blade, Training Day, SW:TPM)

Full rate DTS (1509kb/s) completely beats any DD track out there though. I love the full rate! :D

· Registered
223 Posts
But, DTS now has approved a new lower-bit rate so that it can fit on the DVDs with the 5.1 track. Or, at least that is what I've read. I do choose DTS over DD if a DVD has it. If there are two releases of the DVD, like in the case of Jurrasic Park, etc. I pick the DTS one. But, the only thing a DVD MUST have for me to purchase it is anamorphic widescreen. I won't even bother buying a DVD unless it has it.

· Premium Member
Denon 3800, 83" LG C1, Rythmik F18 Subwoofer, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, Diva 8.1Towers Front & Rear
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lax01
DTS usually hits harder and lower. But there are many DD soundtracks out there that I love (Example: Blade, Training Day, SW:TPM)

Full rate DTS (1509kb/s) completely beats any DD track out there though. I love the full rate! :D
That's been my experience as well. My Titan AE definitely has more slam using the DTS version. Still, either one is pretty amazing and I've been "spoiled" by them both. Plain vanilla dolby surround is just so depressing now... I can remember thinking it was pretty amazing too... I wonder what's next? :)

· Premium Member
Denon 3800, 83" LG C1, Rythmik F18 Subwoofer, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, Diva 8.1Towers Front & Rear
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lax01

That's been my experience as well... Still, either one is pretty amazing and I've been "spoiled" by them both. Plain vanilla dolby surround is just so depressing now... I can remember thinking it was pretty amazing too... I wonder what's next? :)

· Registered
4,354 Posts
I love those threads :D !

let's run down some "points":

1. the mix first !! look at what happened to TPM dvd vs TPM ld or Alien AC3 vs Alien DD dvd or SPR AC3 ld vs SPR DD dvd

2. the codec then and sorry, but even the 1/2 rate DTS sound meaner, more authoritative, "freer", less "compressed" (audibly) than the dolby discrete

3. the mix again! and I mean one that RESPECTS the original cinema mix, one that is not COOKED DOWN for downplaying in stereo on 4/3 tvs

4. there is a gross misconception about the dts and dd: the data rate is NOT the sole thing to look at: it has A LOT to do with the way the codec works: to make it short, dts is a constant discrete full range codec, dolby digital is a pooling device, with channels combining at certain frequencies...

5. generally, the dts on dvd ( it was rarely an issue with AC3 on lds) often respects the master and is not "cooked down" ( normal, a dts discrete track can't be listen in pseudo dolby surround or prologic ).

6. also, don't forget often times, the bass in the LFE are concentrated on the 5 channels, not so much in the LFE, compared to the dolby 5.1 tracks ( which often boosts the LFE to "impress": check FINAL FANTASY: unless the mix is like that, the LFE is boosted but the track lacks that "authoritative" sound on the other channels. I wonder how the Japanese or the upcoming dts dvds will sound...

7. consequence of pt 6, the way you listen to yr movies and the type of hardware you use will more or less make you able to notice differences, especially in the low frequencies for instance: a system unable to play "decently" ( that is with volume...) in LARGE but set in LARGE will not sound good with DTS.

8. most often, the musical parts of a movie sounds more .... musical, cd like in dts

9. dialnorm: while its is "acceptable", it's often wrongly set during the encoding ( especially many Columbia dvd but also Fox dvd )

It's only featured on dolby and AC3 dvds and lds ( and for satellite, cable etc). It's not in the "cahier des charges" of DTS

10. well, you get the picture :D No, still a rant: that studios find "more convenient" to them to boost quasi systematically their DTS tracks to impress Joe6packs. Or so it's often understood that way: it could be just the issue of the respecting mix and the cooked down mix :D

Food for thoughts...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.