AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some issues when running movies containing either DTS or AC3 audio.

First of all, here the specs of my HTPC:

CPU: Intel Core2 6600 2.40GHz
Motherboard: Asus Commando
Memory: 4.0 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
HDD: Seagate 500GB SATA
Sound: Using onboard audio via SPDIF connected to AV receiver
AV Receiver: Yamaha HTR-6030

The problem I am having is that sometimes (I'd say about 50% of the time) when I try to play a movie containing either DTS or AC3 audio, I get no sound. Furthermore, I am no longer able to hear audio from any sources (i.e. mp3s, windows, etc...), and I am forced to restart the computer to get my audio back. This issue only occurs with DTS/AC3 audio - any other type of audio works 100% of the time.

When it does work, my receiver displays either DTS (or AC3, whichever it is), and everything works fine.

But when it doesn't work, for a DTS movie, my receiver will display DTS, and the part of the display where it shows which speakers are active (i.e 5 for a 5.1 setup) will start flashing, and there's a slight popping noise that comes out of the speakers.

For a DD movie, the receiver just displays Pro Logic, no speakers are displayed on the receiver's screen, and I get no sound (and no popping) from the speakers.

I seriously have no idea what is going on. I don't understand why it would work half the time. I have the latest drivers for the onboard audio. Here's what I have tried to do to fix the problem (none of which worked):

-different media players.

-different audio codecs/utilities (ffdshow audio, ac3filter...).

-removing all of the codecs and using just one to avoid conflict.

-using a different coax cable

-using toslink instead of coax

I'm thinking of ditching the onboard audio and going for a sound card. But I just want to see if there is a fix for this before I go out and buy anything.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
885 Posts
First, uninstall all codec packs.

Try spdifer 0.2a http://ac3filter.net/projects/spdifer

With these settings:

spdif passthrough check all 4 boxes

spdif/dts mode auto

spdif/dts conversion convert to dts14

spdif options

output spdif as pcm unchecked

restrict spdif sample rate checked

48hz checked

nothing else checked

click apply and OK

If you use ZoomPlayer, for example, choose spdifer specifically in both the DVD playback options and the Media playback options under AC3/DTS formats.

In players that just let Directshow do whatever it wants, you will have to force the merit so that the system will choose spdifer over other codecs that may be installed. You can find utilities that do this in the free software sticky thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech /forum/post/14277348

First, uninstall all codec packs.

Try spdifer 0.2a http://ac3filter.net/projects/spdifer

With these settings:

spdif passthrough check all 4 boxes

spdif/dts mode auto

spdif/dts conversion convert to dts14

spdif options

output spdif as pcm unchecked

restrict spdif sample rate checked

48hz checked

nothing else checked

click apply and OK

If you use ZoomPlayer, for example, choose spdifer specifically in both the DVD playback options and the Media playback options under AC3/DTS formats.

In players that just let Directshow do whatever it wants, you will have to force the merit so that the system will choose spdifer over other codecs that may be installed. You can find utilities that do this in the free software sticky thread.

hey Ben_Tech, thanks for the help.

I did everything step by step as you mentioned, but unfortunately I still have the same problem. I confirmed that spdifer was the codec being used by pressing Ctrl+tab in KMPlayer.

I don't know what else to do at this point.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Can you connect a regular DVD player to the same port on your receiver in order to be certain the bitstream decoding functions within the unit are working well? Problems like these are a process of elimination.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey sorry for the delayed response.

I've used a DVD player, Xbox 360, and a PVR and they all work fine.

It's only the PC thats giving me these problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts