AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody gotten DD and DTS to work with Mac OsX.3?

I bought an Audiophile USB for my Mac because the midiman website advertised DD and DTS with DVD Player under Panther. I can't seem to get it to work. They haven't responded to my emails.

Thanks for not taking this openning for mac bashing. You guys can start your own thread.

cheers,

Sam

·
Registered
301 Posts
it is supposed to work with both DVD Player 4.0 and VLC 0.7.0... i must admit, however, that i have not put it to the test.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It should be working now - although I haven't tried it! There are some threads on the subject on www.htmug.com

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys,

Looks like the VLC site is down tonight. I'll try them again tomorrow. I did learn a little rain dance from the HTMUG site. You need to click on ac-3 on the m-audio Sysem Pref before launching the dvd player application. Then the m-audio is available as an option to the system output in the audio prefs. Unfortunately in this mode it sounds like a model train is coming out of my speakers. The Meridian 586 does not recognized the ac-3 signal and interprets it as pcm.

Don't really know what the next step should be. The M-audio guys don't return my emails.

I guess I'll try VLC.

thanks for the responses.

Sam

·
Registered
173 Posts
There is a known problem with Mac os 10.3 (Panther) and VLC playing ac3. It doesn´t work! NO WAY! It is an because Apple does´t give the information to the programmers of VLC how to pass the audio trough.

The only way nowerdays to play Ac3 and DTS is through Apple DVD Player 4.0 and Panther. You must connect the USB device to the USB hub on the computer, otherwise you´ll hear strange sounds in DTS!

If you have concrete questions, I´ll try to answer them.:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Gold,

I'm beginning to suspect a compatibility problem with the meridian. When the M-audio System Pref is set to ac3 and the DVD Player Prefs are set to M-audio you hear something that sounds like Time code coming out of the speakers. There's obviously something that is either being sent wrong or being recieved wrong. BTW unplugging the M-Audio device while all of this is running gives the worst crash I have ever seen in an osX mac.

Sam

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Gold,

I don't really understand what you mean when you say 'You must connect the USB device to the USB hub on the computer'. Do you mean that it must be connected to a hub or it must be connected to the computer directly?

thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes I mean it has to be connected directly to the computer. I mean hub, becaus on the computer it is also a Hub, but of course it sounds confusing.

I don´t have any opion of ac3 in my Sonica system preferences??

The one thing i noticed is that i have checked the checkbox "unable dinamic compression" in the preference of DVD Player 4.0.

Do you have the latest driver:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...license&ID=378

Try it, probably it is that!

Do you have Panther?

Do you hear the normal system sound over your meridian? I mean, if you selecht in the sound preference panel, SONICA, as output device??

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Gold,

The sonica driver is pretty different from the Audiophile. The system recognizes that you have the other hardware. I bet I had everything hooked up correctly when I was hearing the odd noises. I think that either:

1. My 500mz cpu is too slow.

2. The meridian decoder has trouble with the audiophile's output.

3. The driver/firmware needs updating. -I have the latest installed.

Sound about right to you?

Sam

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes I hear everything clearly. I don’t think hardware is to slow, because I had a G3/300 and it worked.

Again my question. Do you hear the normal system sound over your Audiophile and Meridian??? There we can try to get nearer the problem.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know if this is the sound you are talking about, but on my PowerBook, and an M-Audio Transit, when it was on AC3 and High Latency, the sound was very choppy. I changed it to Low Latency, and it solved the problem (I quit DVD Player between each setting change to be safe).

Something I noticed is my subwoofer is very quiet with the Transit. I set the volume to about 7 on the subwoofer (out of 10), and still can barely hear it. I might try adjusting the max sub volume on my receiver tomorrow. I really hate doing that because it forces you to play, at some length, the loudest sounds you ever want your subwoofer to produce. I live in an apartment, and it gets very loud during the test, but I always end up giving up before it finishes, and stopping it at around -12 dB.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's interesting that you describe the sound as choppy. That could be what I heard -- the sound cutting in and out. I think I'm already in low latency but I'll play with that one if you think it will make a difference.

thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Sarah and All,

I played around with the latency and it didn't solve anything but I made an interesting discovery. With DTS disks the sound is recognizable but 'choppy'. It cuts in and out about every half second. I now believe that the problem is that my old dual 500mz G4 is just too darn slow to deliver the full data stream fast enough. I believe that the USB ports are also very a early vintage and may also be the culprate. Mabye this is just the excuse I was looking for to buy a new fast mac!

thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
174 Posts
eek! I hope it's not that the speed is too slow, but it could possibly be it, as 500MHz is the minimum for the transit. I have been using my PowerBook so far for the Transit, but the permanent home for it is going to be my dual 450. I will be disappointed if it can't do DTS. I could get a processor upgrade (I would probably go with a 1.2GHz single, or maybe a dual 800, but I am worried the computer will overheat (I no longer have the 120mm fan that normally blows on the processor). Currently, my processor runs at about 40°C, which isn't too bad. I'm more worried about a hotter processor causing the drives to overheat though.

The USB ports on the G4 are 1.1, which is what the Transit uses, so it shouldn't be the problem. If they were 1.0, then there would be a problem, but I don't think any Macs used 1.0 (it was very short-lived).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Sarah,

A buddy of mine at work suggested that if it was a processor problem I could make a smaller window and that would relieve some of the burden. Unfortunately that didn't help. But it was a very interesting suggestion. I wish Midiman would respond to my emails to support.

I'll try plugging in my powerbook 667mz and see if it's better.

Have you ever had any luck contacting them?

The new G5's have digital audio built-in...

thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've not contacted Midi-Man, but I have had limited success with M-Audio's email support. I had a pre-sales question asking if the dual 450 would be enough for DTS. The response was "it should be." After buying it, I had a problem with getting DTS to work, and asked a question about it, which was never answered. I did figure it out on my own though. Yes, the G5s have optical out already, but I've already spent about $4700 this month on this project. I'd rather not spend another $2-$3000 if possible! lol. But, if you're in the market, go for it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Sarah,

I tried the Audiophile USB with my powerbook and the results are the same as with the dual 500. I really don't need to buy another mac for any other reason. So I probably won't just for this, either. Thanks for all of your help. Let me know how you make out with the 450.

I suspect that the problem is with the Audiophile USB. I guess I'll just wait until they post a new driver.

BTW I'm an ex New Yorker. So Howya-doon?

Sam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.