AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some movie DVD copies with DTS only sound tracks on them that were made with DVDShrink selecting only DTS audio when the copy was made. Will any DVD players decode the DTS and output the DTS audio in a two channel or Dolby Digital format?

Generally, how would portable DVD players handle a DTS only DVD?

Thank you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There are no DTS only DVDs. All DTS DVDs must have either a Dolby Surround or Dolby Digital 5.1 track in addition to the DTS track. Otherwise people with a portable DVD player or with a DVD player hooked straight to the TV would not get any sound. I'm not aware of any players that will convert DTS to two channels like they will do with Dolby Digital.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Personally, all the DVD players i have seen to date had capability to decode DTS soundtracks. I still believe there might be some reallly cheap super low budget players that do not have this capability, but i havent seen those. So, in a word, this should not be of any concern to you. Portable players also mostly have this capability and they can playback multichannel DTS soundtracks on tow built-in stereo speakers. Some of them have external jacks to let the external unit like a receiver to process multichannel DTS/DD soundtracks if needed.

Once you go to more expensive units, they add the capability to decode DTS 24/96, DTS ES, DD PLII, NEO, ets. These are more high quality audio standards. But for portable DVD players they are not essential.

·
Registered
365 Posts
All of the Panasonic high-end single disc and portable models since the late 90's have the "DTS Digital Surround" logo (A320, A7, A10, RV80, RP91, RP82, XP50, S55, LV70, LV75, LA85, LA95, LX9) and will downmix DTS 5.1 tracks to Stereo Surround (Dolby Pro-Logic compatible). This occurs automatically through the left and right analog outputs and optionally through the digital outputs if DTS PCM downconversion is selected in setup. All other players (i.e. those that only have the "DTS Digital Out" logo) will not have any analog audio output when a DTS track is selected and will only output DTS bitstream through the digital outputs.

Check your DVD player for either the "DTS Digital Surround" or "DTS Digital Out" logos. If it only has the "DTS Digital Out" logo, make sure you leave a Dolby track (either 2.0 or 5.1) whenever you're transcoding with DVDShrink.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Void There are no DTS only DVDs.
Unless it's home-made, as the original poster noted his was.

Quote:
[All DTS DVDs must have either a Dolby Surround or Dolby Digital 5.1 track in addition to the DTS track.
Or a PCM track. Either PCM or Dolby Digital fulfills the compatibility requirement. "Dolby Surround" or 5.1 is not necessary; the tracks can be mono or 2.0 or whatever.

Quote:
Otherwise people with a portable DVD player or with a DVD player hooked straight to the TV would not get any sound. I'm not aware of any players that will convert DTS to two channels like they will do with Dolby Digital.
There are many. The Pioneer DV-563 is one such.

RichC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.