AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Has anyone actually used one of these? The problem with Apple is that their DVD player doesn't even support passing through the AC3 sound. Yamaha would need to be bundling their own special DVD player that got around the limitations.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Having USB as one of the digital inputs on a receiver does seem like a very reasonable idea. The RP-U200's USB input does make it interesting, if only it had more power in its amplifier.

Note that the VS10, however, does't have USB. It seems to be just an entry-level "home theater in a box", with no special features.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you look even closer at the readme file for the unit that has available drivers: the RP-U100:

Quote:

A Macintosh computer built-in DVD

The DVD movie's sound come from a Macintosh computer built-in DVD via USB is stereo PCM, not the AC-3 bitstream. By setting the Dolby Pro Logic playback at DVD playback software, you can enjoy the Dolby surround sound from the RP-U100.
I'm guessing that the RP-U200 isn't any different, but who knows?

Andrew

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If Mac DVD player is manufacured byb Dolby Laboratories and Dolby Digytal, why we mac owners have to go through this?:confused:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Looks like we'll finally get our discreet multi-channel suround sound in the next OS X upgrade, 10.2. It should be released as early as late August. I like how clean this control panel/sound utility looks too :). Bring on the Jaguar!

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/...omidisetup.gif

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
May the powers that be listen to you JB. I want to throw my PC POS out the window.... However, all I see in that pic are 2 ch. Hopefully the unseen setting is 4!

For how much are Radeon cubes going at ebay?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Quote:
For how much are Radeon cubes going at ebay?
Probably a lot more than a month ago, seeing as Dual 1Gz upgrades for the cubes and other machines will be available soon.
http://powerlogix.com/

Quote:
However, all I see in that pic are 2 ch. Hopefully the unseen setting is 4!
If you have the Developer Tools, there is already an app called "Daisy" that you can compile. This allows you to control the audio with a similar look to the newer 10.2 preference pane. The output options available will match those of your output devices.

I get SPDIF out already from OS X Native/Carbon Apps, Classic Apps, and even Virtual PC. If I wanted to use other audio apps I could pass DD/DTS out as well. However, what is needed is a hook for DVD Player or the vLan client to pass the sound to the MAudio card or usb/digital converter. The system can handle it already in 10.1, but either Apple and/or vLan needs to enable the pass in their player. I don't own a usb/digital converter, so I can't say what they're capable of at this point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.