AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not an audiophile, so I'll state that right out of the gate. Just had my home theater setup, and I need some help. I have a Denon 5800 as a receiver, and was watching Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I have DTS and Dolby to choose from on the disc, and on my receiver, I have Dolby, DTS, THX, and some DSP modes like Wide Screen.

I have 1 center, 2 fronts, 2 surrounds, 2 backs, and 1 sub.

I am not sure what I should be picking on what, and what the differences are. Any pointers would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You should pick DTS generally over Dolby as it will use less compressed audio. Then choose DOLBY PLIIx to get the 5.1 or 6.1 track to be played in pseudo-7.1.

·
Registered
16,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeame
What is the THX used for?
THX movies

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim
THX movies
Sigh... THX can be many things depending on where you find the logo. In terms of a home audio receiver, it's essentially a set of equipment standards and audio processing modes that complement existing sound formats. So you don't pick from DTS or Dolby or THX, it's DTS or Dolby with or without THX.

Movies with the THX logo have absolutely nothing to do with with THX on your home receiver. Completely different things.

For more information see the THX website.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
To pick the different sound format, you will also have to physically select/change it on the DVD. You can do this while a movie is playing with the remote, or go to the main menu and select either DTS or DD from the sound/languages menu.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, that part I get -- but do I pick DTS on the DVD *and* DTS on the receiver as well, or do I monkey with all of the DSP/THX settings I could be choosing?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
The receiver should automatically switch between DTS and DD. The only time you'll have to manually switch receiver settings is if you want to say use DLPIIx, DTS Neo:6 Cinema, etc. to matrix it out to 6/7 channels instead of 5.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith
I bet people are tired of hearing this, but choose whatever sounds best to you.
I agree

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'd ignore all the DSP modes (but that's just my personal preference). For watching movies I prefer to enable THX, but again that's up to your personal preference. Try it with and without and see what you like.

·
Semi-Advanced Member
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks
I'd ignore all the DSP modes (but that's just my personal preference). For watching movies I prefer to enable THX, but again that's up to your personal preference. Try it with and without and see what you like.
Daniel -

I've seen other people post that they strictly go native. I'm not sure how to do this (or is it that I do nothing and the receiver takes care of it?)

Using a DVD player with optical out into a Yammie 2600. I've got surrounds and back surrounds (7.1.)

So when you say you ignore the DSP modes, does that mean you strictly run 5.1?

·
Registered
30,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norge
What does DTS stand for? Is is dolby digital surround?
DTS stands for Digital Theater Systems. Dolby Digital is from one of their competitors, Dolby Labs.

Sanjay

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok thanks....so these are ways sounds are compressed.....I understand.

Most receivers have DTS....

If an analogue source of sound is fed to a receiver (with DTS) is it capable of outputing it in DTS mode....Or the source have to be in DTS to have this output?

Thanks

·
Registered
30,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norge
If an analogue source of sound is fed to a receiver (with DTS) is it capable of outputing it in DTS mode....Or the source have to be in DTS to have this output?
DTS compression is applied by the studio when the soundtrack is originally compressed for distribution on DVD. The DTS mode on your receiver simply decodes/unpacks the DTS bitstream. Since it is not a DTS encoder, it can't convert anything to DTS. Besides, why would you want to? That would just be discarding data.

When an analogue source is fed into a receiver, it is immediately converted into 96/24 uncompressed PCM digital audio. There's no reason to throw away information by using lossy compression on this uncompressed signal.

Sanjay

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks a lot.....I have a home cinema Denon DHT500SD (all in one)....In fact when connected my satellite receiver via an optical cable I expected DTS to turn on

Now I understand why not and infact the signal is PCM....What does this stand for?

Thanks once again

·
Semi-Advanced Member
712 Posts
Well, after messing with the 2600 for a few minutes, I have answered my own question.

1) You frequently select DTS or DD from the DVD - the receiver auto-changes.

2) I've seleted THX Select - the only movie setting that does not display the receiver's "Cinema DSP: logo - therefore I believe I'm going native. (Am I??)

It sounds great.

ht guy

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy
Daniel -

I've seen other people post that they strictly go native. I'm not sure how to do this (or is it that I do nothing and the receiver takes care of it?)

Using a DVD player with optical out into a Yammie 2600. I've got surrounds and back surrounds (7.1.)

So when you say you ignore the DSP modes, does that mean you strictly run 5.1?

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Just for the record the DTS/DD debate is blown way out porportion. Some of the early DTS dvds sounded better but only because they were DTS only and manipulated like Jurassic Park. That movie was doctured by the studio or DTS otherwise the DTS/DD war is way overblown. J.H.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.