AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at Sony's DA5ES and DA3ES receiver and see that there are some differences. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me what the differences are?




Wha is the difference between DTS and DTS-ES


What is the difference between Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Pro Logic 2


What is DTS NEO:6



Thanks Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
I can only answer your second question.


I just bought a receiver with the pro logic 2 and it's a nice feature. What it does is it takes your regular analog feed (radio, t.v., etc) and process it into what is seemingly a 5.1 sound. So you get the benefit of the full 5.1 surround sound that you would only normally get from a Dolby Digital or DTS encoded material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is what you are saying is that the pro logic 2 will makes these changes but the regular pro logic will not? Is this the difference between the two?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
yup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Dolby Surround sources sources have a mono surround channel encoded into them, and Dolby Prologic creates a center channel from matrix interpolation, using those "3" channels. It can also (badly) create a center and mono surround from a straight stereo source.


DPL2 creates 5.1 discrete channels from 2 or "3" (or 4?) channels by matrix interpolation.


I've never liked Pro Logic. It has always sounded artificial to me, to the point of being distracting. I love DPL2 - its steering works really well, and can make a stereo source sound like it was originally recorded as multichannel. Once in a while it doesn't work so well, but that's not often.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,447 Posts
What everyone has said about Pro-Logic II is correct. Especially what lennyr said about it being much better than Pro-Logic and not sounding so good every now and then - rarely.


For one thing, it opens up the center and surround channels more: it doesn't limit the frequency response like Pro-Logic did.


Difference between DTS and DTS-ES:


Both are compressed (both not as much as Dolby Digital)


DTS-ES Matrix relies on a matrix decoder to extract information for a rear surround channel (using one or two speakers) much like Dolby Surround EX.


DTS-ES Discrete has actual rear channel sound information encoded within the surround Left and Right channels that are totally seperate from one another. This extra information is then feed to the rear surround(s) as a completely independent channel. Thus being 6.1 and not just 5.1. However, it is still backward compatible with DTS and DTS-Matrix - they both process the 5.1 code and don't react to the additional rear channel information because they can't anyway. FYI: DTS-Matrix can still get rear channel info from DTS-Discrete tracks.


Neo:6 is similar to Pro-Logic II but uses the back surround channel too. It can work on ananlog signals and Dolby tracks. I personally prefer Dolby Pro-Logic II for movies AND music 95% of the time and Neo:6 for the other 5% which it makes sound good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wesley Hester
DTS-ES Discrete has actual rear channel sound information encoded within the surround Left and Right channels that are totally seperate from one another. This extra information is then feed to the rear surround(s) as a completely independent channel.
But that sounds like a description of how DTS-ES Matrix works: extracting rear channel info from the Left & Right surround channels and feeding it to the rear channel. If the rear channel info is derived from the Left & Right surrounds, how is it a discrete channel?


Thanx,

Sanjay
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top