AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at upgrading to a reciever with dts and would like to know what the difference is between DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX. Panasonic has 2 new recievers the SAHE100 with DTS-ES for about 250$, and the SAHE200 with DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX for about 350$. They are both 6.1 recievers. Is EX worth the extra money?? (There are other added features on the 200 model) Here's a link to the recievers...

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/Sho...ategoryID=2600

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Simplifying, DTS-ES provides a center rear channel when decoding a DTS audio track that includes it. DD-EX provides a center rear channel when decoding a DD audio track that includes it. Without the DD license, they would have to use their own proprietary decoding logic to supply the center rear channel. The specs are vague enough that there's no way to tell if the 100 even does that, however.

The 200 has significantly better amplifier specs than does the 100, which probably accounts for most of the price difference.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
Ahhh, but it's never as simple as that.

If you want 6.1 sound, you need a receiver or pre-amp that offers DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoding.

Those cheepo receivers have a matrixed back channel derived from a copy-cat back surround matrix decoding format, and possibly not even real DD EX or DTS ES licensed decoding schemes. They seem way too low in price to be other than what I said.

If you want to spend a little extra to get the whole enchilada then I would recommend checking out Denon's upcoming "03" line of receivers. They'll have ProLogic II, possibly real DD EX, and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 & DTS-ES Matrix decoding.

Dan

·
Registered
310 Posts
6.1 discrete is no longer for the elite level receivers. Last month I picked up a Onkyo sr-600 for my father for $429.00; price matched at my local C.C. Features include 6 channels of DISCRETE amplification, DPLII, NEO 6, and a rating of 110 watts.

Mated to his Polk sat system he coulden't be happier.

Check out www

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.