AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between DTS-ES and DTS 6.1 compatible? Also what about Surround EX and Surround 6.1 compatible? I just bought a receiver from an online store that says these are the same, but I'm having a hard time believing it. If they were the same, wouldn't the front of the receiver have the DTS-ES logo instead of just the DTS?

Any help on this would be appreciated. If I am wrong I owe them an apology so I'd like to get this cleared up as soon as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
It is legal to list all DTS receivers as 6.1 or ES 'compatible' because 5.1 systems properly play ES encoded streams. The sixth channel can be discrete but the two other surround channels are always matrixed with 6.1. Playback of discrete 6.1 is accomplished by un-matrixing out the discrete 6th channel from the other two surround channels.

Thus, all 5.1 systems are 'compatible with 6.1'. But to have a DTS ES logo, the system must decode and output all the channels.

Let us know if the retailer is trying to pull a fast one...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I now believe it was my misunderstanding. Thanks for your explaination.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
DTS ES 6.1 has multiple modes like Discrete, Matrix and NEO 6. Since there are very limited releases encoded with DTS 6.1 Discrete which is incredible, but the majority of the middle/higher end AVRs (>$750) available are 6.1/7.1. So these AVRs are usually configured to output a 6.1/7.1 output even if a DTS 5.1 bitstream is input, for this a Matrix mode is used.

However in certain instances the user may want to hear it only in DTS 5.1 as the Matrix decoding may not deliver the expected positive contribution. Since DVD DTS encoding is now done by the studios, they determine the final DVD encoding process used... :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
just to clarify- if I play a 5.1 dd/dts dvd on a 6.1 set-up, all six channels will produce sound even though dvd is 5.1. I just added a back surrond speaker to my set-up to make it 6.1 and see that back surround is producing sound when I play 5.1 dvds. I have yet to find a 6.1 encoded release to test it out.

Thanks,

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by makhannj
just to clarify- if I play a 5.1 dd/dts dvd on a 6.1 set-up, all six channels will produce sound even though dvd is 5.1. I just added a back surrond speaker to my set-up to make it 6.1 and see that back surround is producing sound when I play 5.1 dvds. I have yet to find a 6.1 encoded release to test it out.

Thanks,
Not necessarily. Only if you force 6.1 channel decoding, or if you run some sort of DSP/soundfield on top of the 5.1 channel decoding.

Stereodude

·
Registered
19 Posts
You lost me...I have a receiver capable of 6.1 and have activated the sixth channel (back surrond) in it if that means forcing it to play 5.1 on all six channels.

Regards,

·
Registered
750 Posts
Quote:
You lost me...I have a receiver capable of 6.1 and have activated the sixth channel (back surrond) in it if that means forcing it to play 5.1 on all six channels.
Someone correct me if this is wrong...

6.1 playback of 5.1 sources is not included in the DTS spec. On some receivers, there are alternate surround fields available for playback of audio on more channels than are encoded in the source. On my Denon receiver, DTS NEO:6 is used to playback any audio format in 6.1 or 7.1 channels.

Opinions differ on whether this produces an enjoyable and/or convincing reproduction of the intended sound stage.

[edit: typo]

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:

Regards,
You will not get 6.1 from 5.1 sources unless you force the DD EX surround decoder to make a 6th channel. On some movies it may sound acceptable, and on others it will sound odd. Dolby doesn't recommend using it except on DD EX recordings.

Stereodude

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.