AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought myself a Denon 1909 and pretty decent speakers. I also have a HD DVD Player (planning on finally buying a BD one tho) and have connected the player via HDMI to the receiver. I know that the HD audio formats work fine with this connection however I do want to connect my PC to my receiver as well. I now use a SPDIF connection but that doesnt support the HD audio formats. I have been searching the forum and a lot of threads but honestly I only understand have of it ^^

What exactly do I have to get to enjoy true HD audio output from my computer to my receiver? I found these two cards that do support HDMI and apparantly DTS-HD and DD+ as well but I do not quite understand the downsampling problem. These cards downsample the audio format and do not give out the true HD formats is that correct?

And are there no cards yet that do support all of the things you need?

What would the alternatives then be? Use FLAC? Or LPCM?

And one more question .. ^^ Is there any other advantage when using HDMI over SPDIF with regular formats (AC3, DTS)?

If somebody could help out me, the newbie, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
What are "these two cards"? ASUS and Auzentech?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
The ASUS card bitstreams Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA/DD+/DTS-HD/multichannel LPCM (so without being downsampled).

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think it only works with the special build of Total Media Theater as well.

There is no advantage to HDMI over SPDIF when it comes to standard DD or DTS.

I'm still happy I went mkv with flac, for the simplicity, you can go with the G45 integrated graphics or the new nvidia chipset. No need for special cards to get the audio in it full glory. Of course you have convert and store your HD material which takes space.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday /forum/post/15571567

I think it only works with the special build of Total Media Theater as well.

There is no advantage to HDMI over SPDIF when it comes to standard DD or DTS.

From what I understand SPDIF is compressed audio and HDMI is not.

I can hear a difference in audio between optical/coax and HDMI with some sources.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
There has to be what's called a protected audio path for the software to legally transmit the HD audio from the BD to your receiver. Those 2 cards are the first solutions to do that.

Standard DD and DTS is the same digital signal transmitted via HDMI or SPDIF. If you hear a difference it's caused by something else.

Peter

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 /forum/post/15571824

From what I understand SPDIF is compressed audio and HDMI is not.

I can hear a difference in audio between optical/coax and HDMI with some sources.

SPDIF doesn't change the source nor does HDMI, it's just the pipe that it travels down. Like I said DD or DTS sent via SPDIF is identitcal to DD or DTS sent via HDMI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts