AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Issue:

When playing a BD with DTS HD MA 2.0 audio codec, no sound.

Work-a-round for anyone with this issue:

Change the BD player from bitstream to PCM (and then change it back after watching the movie)

My understanding is that setting the BD player to bitstream passes it to the AVR so the AVR can decode the audio codec. If your AVR cannot decode a particular audio codec, you can change your BD player to PCM & that lets the BD player decode it & the AVR just plays it. Actually I think with PCM, Player changes data and sends a playable source to the receiver(receiver doesn't change it, just outputs it)

Some titles that have this audio:

Grumpy Old Men DTS-HD MA 2.0/ Grumpier Old Men /DTS-HD MA 5.1

Blair Witch Project DTS-HD MA 2.0

Bad Lieutenant - DTS-HD MA 2.0

Bloodsport - DTS-HD MA 2.0 (With Timecop DTS MA 5.1)

Clash of the Titans (1981) - DTS-HD MA 2.0

Ancient Aliens:The Complete Season One - DTS-HD MA 2.0

PRESUMED INNOCENT/FRANTIC - both DTS-HD MA 2.0

Funny Farm / Spies Like Us - both DTS-HD MA 2.0

I had this problem with Grumpy Old Men as part of the double feature from WB. My AVR is Pioneer Elite SC 05. BD player is Panasonic DMP BD80. AVR is set to automatically detect the selected audio source & has worked well for scores of BDs. BD audio is set to bitstream.

This is my 1st DTS HD MA 2.0 though. Sound mostly silent or extremely low volume & every 15 seconds cuts in for 1-2 seconds. Unwatchable. The Spanish & French tracks play fine but they are NOT DTS HD MA 2.0. The 2nd movie Grumpier... plays fine but it is DTS HD MA 5.1. There are several people on Blu Ray Forum & also several in the Amazon reviews of this title that have the same exact problem. No sound!

I've emailed back & forth with Pioneer & they claim their Sc 05 DOES decode/play DTS HD MA 2.0. I called a Pioneer authorized service center & they say they never heard of this issue & they have many BD movies to play to test but have none that are DTS HD MA 2.0. I called Panasonic & they suggested I change the BD player from bitstream to PCM.

This worked & I suspect is the work-a-round for anyone with this issue.

It is annoying to need to change the setting for one movie & then to remember to change it back to bitstream afterwards or else lose the ability to have your AVR decode the audio codecs for virtually any other BD or DVD.

I have not tried (nor do I intend to purchase) any other BD that has this DTS HD MA 2.0. I suspect that I would have the same issue as I think this unusual audio codec cannot be decoded by many Pioneer AVRs. Typically when you look at specs re Audio it will say DTS HD MA & no further specification. I know the Pioneer Sc 05 can play DTS HD MA 4.0 since I have Edward Scissorhands & had no issues.

BTW, the stand alone release of Grumpy Old Men has a Dolby True HD 2.0 audio format. I have no idea if this also would be a problem.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts