AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you have a DTS-HD-MSTR track and you choose to use NeuralX. Does the pseudo channels created alter the channel information going to the surround and surround back channels?

or does it leave them unaltered while still creating effect overhead to the Atmos/auro channels?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,981 Posts
IF you have a 5.1 or 7.1 track and you use Neural:X upmixing to send some of that info to your height speakers, that info will be actively cancelled from your floor speakers, so none of the channels (except maybe the Centre) is left unaltered.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
IF you have a 5.1 or 7.1 track and you use Neural:X upmixing to send some of that info to your height speakers, that info will be actively cancelled from your floor speakers, so none of the channels (except maybe the Centre) is left unaltered.
I did not know that......cool

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good to know. that's pretty lame. I'll stick with the native formats then.

·
Registered
28,981 Posts
that's pretty lame.
That's pretty standard for matrix surround processing. Simplest matrix extraction is 2 channels coming in and 3 channels going out (centre extraction). The summed centre info is subtracted from the L/R channels so that vocals/dialogue is not reproduced as triple-mono. None of the 3 output channels look like the 2 input channels. It wouldn't be "processing" if it didn't alter the signal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
makes sense.. just would be much better if the signal was split and processed from there, IMO.

·
Registered
866 Posts
You might want to do some comparison listening. I've been more impressed by the processing job the neuralX does with my 7.2.4 Atmos setup compared with past processing formats.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok.. I'll play around a bit.

thanks for the responses .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts