AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I read on another forum that the Ps3 is down mixing DTS MA 7.1 tracks to 5.1 when using LPCM. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, is the ps3 capable, at this time, of sending out the high def formats via Bitstream to the reciever for decoding?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kevin- /forum/post/14276463

Hey guys, I read on another forum that the Ps3 is down mixing DTS MA 7.1 tracks to 5.1 when using LPCM. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, is the ps3 capable, at this time, of sending out the high def formats via Bitstream to the reciever for decoding?

Thanks!

I believe it has been fixed with the new 2.41 firmware.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!

No. We haven't heard if it will ever be possible or not.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!

They are misinformed on the other forum. There was an issue with a few New Line Cinema titles such as Shoot Em Up. The issue was that these few 7.1 tracks were NOT 7.1 discrete tracks, but are 5.1 that take the side surrounds and matrixed the same info to the two rear speakers. The PS3 took those tracks and only played them back as 5.1, because when DTS MA was first added to the PS3 it was given a "Limited" ability and did what I described above. With FW 2.40/1 for the PS3 these tracks now play correctly and there is no more limited to DTS MA. All other 7.1 tracks from other studios were working properly.

The PS3 cannot bitstream DTS MA or Dolby Tru HD, because of a hardware limitation on the HDMI chip. However, the sound quality of PCM and Bitstream of lossless tracks is identical.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the clear and concise info guys!

One more question:

If I am using a reciever that employs a THX mode for Re-EQ, can it be engaged when recieving a PCM signal?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kevin- /forum/post/14277464

Thanks for all of the clear and concise info guys!

One more question:

If I am using a reciever that employs a THX mode for Re-EQ, can it be engaged when recieving a PCM signal?

Thanks again!

I believe this to be receiver specific. Most newer receivers in the mid-to-higher price range can do this. My Onkyo 805 can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts