AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Sony amp str-dh520 and the Blu-ray 3d player Samsung bd-c5900.Both are dts-ma and dolby true hd enabled.

The problem is when playing back a disc that is dts-ma or dolby true hd,it will only show lpcm 48 stereo.

But then if i reset the amp by holding down the music and power button it will then read dts-ma and dolby true hd.

What happens then is i have to set all the fm tuner stations,all the speaker levels etc again because i've put it back to factory settings.

Problem is i have to reset the amp every time i want to hear dts-ma and dolby hd on the blu-ray player,and set up the fm tuner and speaker levels again.Anyone know whats going on?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
This is usually a setting or settings in the Bluray player.

Make sure Bitstream is on, make sure secondary audio is off.

PCM if it is multi channel, just means the player is doing the decoding. Generally you still getting lossless...

be carefull too, sometimes the display will provide its; limitations all the way back to the source. Which means you get stereo.

Generally that is fixed by a setting in the AVR some where. Some AVR's just have issues with that one though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info John.This is my audio settings on the samsung blu-ray player.

Digital output-Bitstream(audiophile)

Pcm downsampling-off

Dynamic range control-auto

down mixing mode-surround compatable

DTS Neo6-off

There are 3 options to choose on the digital output which are PCM,Bitstream(re-encode),and Bitstream(audiophile) and i've tried all 3.I've also tried every setting on the Sony amp and all i can get it to read out is lpcm 48 stereo.Like i said in my previous post,it will only read dts ma and dolby true hd after i reset the Sony amp to factory settings by holding down the music button and power button.

I've been in touch with Sony and Samsung about this problem,and i had a phone call back from Samsung today who said that it must be a fault with the software on the Sony amp.

I have'nt heard back from Sony yet after they told me they are conducting an investigation.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Bitstream audiophile is the setting you want.

The problem is most likely the HDMI handshake with the TV. TVs are two channel devices and they will instruct the player to decode and downmix to stereo regardless of the player's audio setting. Most receivers have a setting to disable the HDMI audio output to the TV.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/20815316

Bitstream audiophile is the setting you want.

The problem is most likely the HDMI handshake with the TV. TVs are two channel devices and they will instruct the player to decode and downmix to stereo regardless of the player's audio setting. Most receivers have a setting to disable the HDMI audio output to the TV.

@BIslander,I can't thank you enough.Your post got me fiddling in the hdmi settings in the amp,where i discovered the hdmi setting in the amp was set to tv/amp causeing the blu-ray player to output lpcm 48 stereo.I changed it to amp only and bingo it's fixed.Blasting out DTS-MA and Dolby true hd without having to keep putting it to factory settings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.