AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When watching 24 in dolby digital I'm looking to use all speakers in a 7.1 setup. I have heard that dolby pl2x can upconvert 5.1 sources to 7.1. How about dts neo 6? I'm running a onkyo 876 and it lets me run thx cinima with a dolby digital source and neo6. What is a better mode to use neo6 or pl2x?

·
Registered
30,888 Posts
On some receivers Neo:6 can be used on 5.1 sources to extract a mono surround-back channel that is sent to both rear speakers. By comparison, PLIIx extracts stereo surround-back channels, sending independent content to each rear speaker. Listen to both, choose the one that sounds better to you.

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yep, I use Neo6 over DTS 5.1 sources all the time in my 7.1 setup (usually because I'm too lazy to change the setting on my pre/pro for DTS sources). Personally, I have never heard any difference in Neo6 and DPLIIx - they both do a fine job in creating the rear soundfield.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
That's interesting that they sound the same to you. I hear differences between DPL IIx and Neo : 6. But that may have been during two channel operation. I can see where there would be a big difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts