Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone have any idea if any DVHS releases will be in DTS and if so I presume a firmware upgrade would have to be done on the JVC?

Would this require the deck having to be returned back to JVC?

Mark

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Who cares about dts now. There were so few made on DVD I wish I hadnt spent the money in the past to upgrade my equipment for it.

dave

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
At Widescreen Review event today, contrary to popular belief, DTS is not on the horizon anytime soon. JVC rep (actually V.P. of the D-Theater group from Japan) said while talks were going on with DTS, there are no immediate plans now or in the future for support, but that could change.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Since DTS is not a part of ATSC, it's unlikely we'll see it with HDTV anytime soon. Quite frankly, I find DTS comparable to DD and as such don't concern myself with it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, Just got this email from Gary at WR. Perhaps he is just sticking up for DTS like he always has??? :)

Mark,

JVC is activity working on implementing DTS. Other than that there is no

firm date when DTS will be implemented in the current model or future

models. Stay tuned. We will update everyone on this matter.

Editor Gary

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Ken- I believe you are correct when it comes to broadcast but for recorded media, I don't believe that is locked into ATSC standards and as such will be open to any innovative implementation possible even if quite proprietary.

As for the difference between the quality of DD and DTS- Later DVD's that incorporate DTS as well as DD may be using a much reduced bandwidth that restricts the full DTS quality. I have made casual observations that DTS and DD2.0 only DVD seem to have been higher DTS quality but later DVD's with both DD5.1 and DTS on them the quality is more restrictive. I don't have data, just a personal impression. Only a rep from DTS could resolve this argument and I have never seen any at the trade shows I attend. Of course the Dolby people all claim their stuff is equal to or superior to DTS.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Don, I just read something about this in a technical mag a few days ago.

They said that DTS on DVD's now are being used at half the bit rate they were at the beginning so they can be put on the same DVD as DD.

This takes away all the push that Gary has been doing at WSR for DTS.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
DTS fullrate is 1509 kbit/sec ("DTS 1509") and halfrate is 754 kbit/sec ("DTS 754"). Aside from just about every DTS LD and a few choice DVD titles like Twister, Lethal Weapon 2 and Dances with Wolves, fullrate isn't used anymore--99% of DTS DVDs are DTS 754. For comparison, DD is typically 448 kbit/sec (most DVDs) or 384 kbit/sec (mostly LDs), with some odd exceptions.

As noted, the differences in DTS and DD are often the result of different mixing levels, especially in the LFE channel (DTS mixing being more, um, aggressive).

Even though I would be the first to argue that I don't have golden ears, I think the hands down "best" format is DTS 1509--too bad it takes up so much space on DVDs. There is easily enough room on a D-VHS D-Theater tape to hold DTS 1509--I would hope that this is the way they will go, assuming that they ever get DTS into the mix, so to speak.

Here's a fun little back-and-forth from a few years ago--mostly hyperbole, but some interesting tidbits:

DD argues: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/arti...TS/Dolby.shtml

DTS responds: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/arti...sDTS/DTS.shtml

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
"DTS mixing being more, um, aggressive"

Alex- Does that measure in aggressibels? :)

Thanks for the background on this. I hear my ears did not lie to me.

I bought a few of those early DVD's and noticed when one was done in what sounded to me like DD5.1 or worse. That must have been my first DVD with DTS-754. It was called The Shadow. Lousy movie but I bought every DVD DTS when they first came out.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bwiklem
At Widescreen Review event today, contrary to popular belief, DTS is not on the horizon anytime soon. JVC rep (actually V.P. of the D-Theater group from Japan) said while talks were going on with DTS, there are no immediate plans now or in the future for support, but that could change.
That's more than the response I got from the JVC rep. I was told that DTS "is being considered", and nothing more. He was a nice guy and well informed, but definitely knew where his job was to remain politically correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.