AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1448 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 amirm confirms DTS output for the Xbox 360 HD DVD


"Just a quick FYI that we are looking at this problem. I don't have an update on it because I was on vacation for a while. But for now, wanted to let you know that we are finalizing our DTS encoder which once done, should produce the same experience as the Toshiba player which everyone was happy with...."


Time to return my HD-A1...


EDIT


Since so many people seem confused:


HD DVD DTS --> Decoded on Xbox 360 --> Player sounds mixed in --> Re-encoded to Dolby Digital 5.1 --> Output via SPDIF optical

HD DVD TrueHD --> Decoded on Xbox 360 --> Player sounds mixed in --> Re-encoded to Dolby Digital 5.1 --> Output via SPDIF optical

HD DVD Dolby Digital Plus --> Decoded on Xbox 360 --> Player sounds mixed in --> Re-encoded to Dolby Digital 5.1 --> Output via SPDIF optical


Thus, your receiver always receives Dolby Digital 5.1 (640 Kbps), regardless of what the original track was. However, some people have noted that on some tracks on some discs, the sound was a little bit flat.


Microsoft will be releasing an update that will allow:


HD DVD DTS --> Decoded on Xbox 360 --> Player sounds mixed in --> Re-encoded to DTS --> Output via SPDIF optical

HD DVD TrueHD --> Decoded on Xbox 360 --> Player sounds mixed in --> Re-encoded to DTS --> Output via SPDIF optical

HD DVD Dolby Digital Plus --> Decoded on Xbox 360 --> Player sounds mixed in --> Re-encoded to DTS --> Output via SPDIF optical


This new DTS output (1.5 Mbps) should hopefully correct the "flatness" some people have noticed with the previous Dolby Digital 5.1 output on the Xbox 360.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Yee haa!! nice to see improvements already on the way for the add-on. Wondering what "finalizing" means though... weeks or months?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
I'm excited too... but what does it mean exactly? Haha.


Is everything going to be downconverted and sent through DTS at 1.5mbps now instead of DD5.1?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Precisely.


Hopefully this will correct the dynamic compression issues that have voices as loud as explosions and gunshots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Ugh, I don't like this at all. I am not a big fan of DTS as the dialogue is always low, so I have to turn it up. But when there is some action, the audio is too loud. I wouldn't mind this, but I live above my landlord so I can't have it too loud.


Boo. I just won't update it or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
>>I just won't update it or something.


I imagine there will be a new dashboard option to select DD or DTS output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,789 Posts
very cool.... i would imagine it would be a "hd-dvd update" like the one a few weeks ago (and not have to wait till the next dashboard which is 4 or 5 months off still)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff /forum/post/0


>>I just won't update it or something.


I imagine there will be a new dashboard option to select DD or DTS output.

It would have to be. They can't replace dd with dts, since not every receiver out there supports dts.


I am curious, though, if this is basically an admission of sorts that dd output can't really get any better, so the fix is to add dts output.


Either way today I went into my dashboard, where the music controls are, selected the speaker icon and cranked it to 100% (it's set at about 30% by default) and then played King Kong. Noticed a big difference. I am wondering if this was the main problem all along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket /forum/post/0


It would have to be. They can't replace dd with dts, since not every receiver out there supports dts.


I am curious, though, if this is basically an admission of sorts that dd output can't really get any better, so the fix is to add dts output.


Either way today I went into my dashboard, where the music controls are, selected the speaker icon and cranked it to 100% (it's set at about 30% by default) and then played King Kong. Noticed a big difference. I am wondering if this was the main problem all along.

Well... it didn't stop Toshiba from re-encoding to dts only over optical/coax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket /forum/post/0


Either way today I went into my dashboard, where the music controls are, selected the speaker icon and cranked it to 100% (it's set at about 30% by default) and then played King Kong. Noticed a big difference. I am wondering if this was the main problem all along.

where is this setting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
I am confused. I just watched Riddick and selected DTS and DTS scrolled on my receiver. This already is able to pass DTS. What are you guys talking about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 /forum/post/0


I am confused. I just watched Riddick and selected DTS and DTS scrolled on my receiver. This already is able to pass DTS. What are you guys talking about?

DVD or HD-DVD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Does this not also mean nearly tripling the bit rate from 640kbps to 1.5Mbps? Or is it going to be some sort of half-rate DTS implementation?
 
1 - 20 of 1448 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top