AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HTPC that has a SPDIF (Toslink) port on it. It's connected to the receiver and the audio works just fine, although when I try to play a Harry potter mkv file with DTS audio, it just plays as regular audio, when I want it to play as DTS. Help please!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just got a Gateway DX4831-01e with fiber audio going from it to my stereo. I can select either DD 5.1 or DTS from the audio option menu of the particular movie I am watching and I can see my AV receiver change from DD to DTS (Sanyo). I don't see a setting for DD 5.1 vs. DTS 5.1 under my PC's audio settings. I guess the sound card does it somehow. I have an Intel MB.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsin /forum/post/18191554

I have an HTPC that has a SPDIF (Toslink) port on it. It's connected to the receiver and the audio works just fine, although when I try to play a Harry potter mkv file with DTS audio, it just plays as regular audio, when I want it to play as DTS. Help please!

which player (especially audio codec) did you use? You need to make sure the DTS codec is set to "passthrough".

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drees /forum/post/18191980

which player (especially audio codec) did you use? You need to make sure the DTS codec is set to "passthrough".

FFDShow, for example, is a good audio codec / filter to use. It was forked a little while back and gets regular updates to support new audio formats. One of the more recent updates included Dolby TrueHD, among others. Use an application like this and configure it for pass thru mode on all the audio formats.

If you are playing the movie thru something like XBMC though, you can select the Digital Output option under Audio in the main XBMC GUI.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can use a different player, any recommendations? I've tried MPC but it used 70% of my CPU while playing HD MKV's while VLC uses none.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I recently had the same problem. I am using Shark Codec pack on Win7 x64. I solved the problem by disabling Microsoft Audio Decoder. This is over HDMI though, but I had the same symptoms.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagojago /forum/post/18199303

I recently had the same problem. I am using Shark Codec pack on Win7 x64. I solved the problem by disabling Microsoft Audio Decoder. This is over HDMI though, but I had the same symptoms.

How do you disable it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, since this forum has no specs listing, what are you using. What is you system specs. Usually you have to go to your sound settings to set up your output. Is this on board sound from your mother board or is it from a discrete sound card?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericld /forum/post/18212540

OK, since this forum has no specs listing, what are you using. What is you system specs. Usually you have to go to your sound settings to set up your output. Is this on board sound from your mother board or is it from a discrete sound card?

I'm running Windows 7 with Intel Audio Studio, with this motherboard . Intel Audio Studio is powered by Sigmatel and my sound card is on my mobo.

EDIT: My video card is a ASUS 9400GT with HDMI. Although it has hdmi audio out, you need a internal SPDIF port which I don't have.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsin /forum/post/18212616

I'm running Windows 7 with Intel Audio Studio, with this motherboard . Intel Audio Studio is powered by Sigmatel and my sound card is on my mobo.

EDIT: My video card is a ASUS 9400GT with HDMI. Although it has hdmi audio out, you need a internal SPDIF port which I don't have.

Is this a home build or a Dell or something. A lot depends on the motherboard, not the chip set. Is it a Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI. Use this program and it will tell you exactly whats inside your computer. You might need to do one of two things if your onboard is crap, which they usually are. Get an ATI 5000 series GPU, or a discrete sound card. Also, go to the Nvidia web site and make sure you have the latest drivers for that card, both audio and video.

Ok, once you know what your mother board is, exactly, go to that site and make sure you have all the drivers installed for that board. There will be a driver specifically for audio that you will need to install so you can tweak your system. Like your sampling rate, speaker set up, bit streaming, and what port are you using.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts